Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not install a dish because of no "line of sight".:mad:

My current cable company is still on analog.:mad:

Another local cable company is on digital.

My question is - Is there loss of signal quality when the cable company receives the digital via their own ssatellit dish and then they send it out through their cable to cable customers??

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I believe the answer is yes.

Everyone is going to receive different results even within the same city. I had great cable reception before moving to a new house in the same area. Cable reception at the new house sucks... the cable company has tried about 8 times to improve it, with no luck.

So I switched to satellite.

Digital cable has equivalent quality to satellite, but the digital channels are those above 100. These are normally the "premium" channels, with the normal cbs, nbc, fox, etc., shown on the lower channels which are all analog.

Steve

Ps. I have never heard of any cable companies that are broadcasting in HighDef.

·
Registered
998 Posts
There are several cable systems running hi-def signals in the digital service. Here in Houston we are getting ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX (enhanced definition which still looks pretty good), HBOEast, HBOWest, SHOEast and SHOWest. Reportedly, the Discovery HD channel will be up as soon as it's available.

I've had several sessions with TWC about the reliability/usability of my Digital/HD signals, but with the contacts I've established within their organization here, I get excellant response and decisive action.

Your final decision should be based on bang for the buck. The cable company can make a digital connection work well.

TerryB

·
Registered
87 Posts
A couple of years ago I would have said satellite. Cable companies were the only game in town in the past unless you wanted to install a huge dish in your back yard. When mini dishes became available, they were broadcasting far superior digital signals and cable companys were caught with there pants down.

Over the past few years, cable has scrambled to get competitive again. In my area(Rogers Toronto). I can now get 8 HD channels and most of the other SD channels are very good quality. I also have a BEV dish, and IMO my digital cable is the better of the two.

Call your cable company and see what services they offer, if they have upgraded to 750or860mhz recently. If they have, thats what I would go for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.