AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend after a heavy rainstorm outage I lost both my DST3000 & SH HD-5. No Sat or OTA reception. The cable tuners still both work. My cheapie Hughes is still working fine. Had technician check my Triple LNB dish.. All looks OK outside at the dish.

In the last 1.5 years I've had 3 SR HD-5 failures, all similar to above, no Sat or OTA. My DST 3000 is only 5 months old and this is the first failure.

BUT, both of these recvrs are hughes OEMS.. Really are the same. Isn't strange that they both failed at the same time?

Could there be some type of sensitivity of these models?

Is there anything I can do to Isolate them from the outside cables & dish?

Comments please!

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Is your dish's mast grounded? Do your cables run through grounding blocks? Are the exposed connections made with weatherproof connectors? Was dialectric grease used at the connections? Do you get a searching for satellite message? Are you using diplexers?

If you know somebody who also has a working dish, see if you can get your receivers to work with it. Before learning about weatherproof connectors and dialectric grease, I had a connection fill with dirty water and drop the signal strength to 0.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My LNB and receiver were burned out once by a lightning strike.

Now I have the satellite cable grounded both before it enters the house, and again inside the house.

I also use a surge protector on each satellite cable from my dual LNB. I look for surge protectors which have a fast response time (less than 5 nanoseconds).

The above methods probably aren't enough to protect your equipment in a direct lightning strike, but will help protect against voltage surges when statically charged clouds move over your house.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the valuable info. The Directv installer who did the work last year did not groud the Dish bracket nor did they use grounding blocks to ground each of my 3 drops!

I'll be installing the grounding blocks next weekend! thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gentlemen: Where do you get lightning protectors that go on the coax cable? I use the coax protectors that come on the panamax power strip, but would like to put added protection up on my tower (near the dishes). I do have ground blocks, but i thought they were more for static than lightning......Jim....St Clair, Michigan

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
My understanding is that small static charges are bled to ground as soon as they develop. Therefore, any potential difference cannot build up to the point where it discharges elsewhere, as in lightning.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It is very hard to stop lightning because of the huge voltages. There are devices called "lightning arrestors" which are mainly used in industrial locations. I think they are expensive and intended to protect against a lightning strike. I would guess they are used for commerical television and radio towers and similar high value pieces of equipment.

Most people try to prevent a lightning strike rather than try to protect when it does strike. Lightning rods are mainly preventative. They are less for channeling a strike and more for prevention.

The ground blocks on satellite cables and the ground wire for the mast help prevent a lightning strike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Use any of the Panamax satellite coax products to give you the best possible protection against nearby lightning strikes. All bets are off with direct strikes but Panamax's warranties should cover it if everything is properly connected (& documented).

The circuitry is identical on all sat models. It is solid-state & doesn't use gas tubes like other brands. The CATV circuitry is also solid-state but is optimized for off-air & cable. Only the connector varies by product. Some are nickle plated while others are gold plated.

The sat circuitry was actually designed with the help of Dish's engineers to make sure it meets all of their requirements.

The specs are:

Sat =

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.