AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Weston florida which is near Miami / Ft. Lauderdale. My signal levels for the 101 satellite are very high averaging 97/98. But my signal level for the 119 Satellite which provides HD signals averages about 66/67. This morning the sky's got very dark for an approaching rainstorm and I lost HDTV signals completely! Zero signal level. The 101 signal was down to 55/60 but still working.

Is it possible that my installer did not align my oval dish correctly?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes, it is possible. If and when we again get some rain, you will have this problem more often.

I am using two 18" dishes with an HD-400 and am getting 95-100 readings from 101° and 90± from 119°.

------------------

Bill Brenner

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Tiger --

If you have an elliptical dish, your readings would confirm that stuarts' 119° aim is, indeed, not what it should be.

You said that you would see what happens when the real rains come. The sad truth is that with our typical summer storms you will not see much other than "Searching for signal", starting when the heavy clouds build in the west.

Fortunately, the outages do not last very long. And the local OTA stations will be accessible through the STB.

Despite this, I have retained non-premium cable, which I find useful during rain fades and for the extra TVs that are not STB equipped. Cable also provides a PIP source. (One would think that four STBs would suffice for two people.)

stuarts --

If your installer cannot correct your 119° aim, e-mail me at [email protected] and I will give you the phone number of an excellent Ft Lauderdale based installer who should be able to help you. Come the real rains you will need all the signal strength you can get.

------------------

Bill Brenner

[This message has been edited by wjbjr (edited 03-18-2001).]

[This message has been edited by wjbjr (edited 03-18-2001).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I purchase a dish and STB just for HDTV from DTV(HBO, Demo and PPV), would you suggest pointing the 18" x 24" dish exclusively toward the 119 Dish or do I need to point at both to get something from DTV (i.e. software upgrades etc.) I have heard troubles with aiming at both satellites. I used a method posted on another thread for positioning a satellite (Sun lines between 4/3 and 4/8/01) and I have a southern exposure which netted a sunline up until about 2:40pm (2:20pm being the time at which the Sun is supposedly directly behind the 119 dish). In other words I don't want to spend a large $ amount and not be able to receive a high quality signal.

Thanks in advance,

SW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.