AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I'm putting together a budget HT setup to hold me over a few years until I can afford to overhaul the entire system. I've got a Polk CS2 that I really like for my center channel, but I don't have the room for the Monitor 60s or 70s it was designed to match. Can anyone recommend a satellite that would pair well with it for my front left and right? I've been kicking around the idea of a pair of RM6751s, RM7s, RM8s, or VM10s.. but if something other than a Polk would be a better choice I'm all ears. The current setup is using Sony SS-MS2s, which are pretty much garbage, and I have no soundstage or depth. The new speakers have to be ceiling mounted which is why I haven't opted for Monitor 40s.. just too heavy for what I've got to work with, and I've already got the screw-style mounts in place. I haven't chosen a sub yet, I figure the front left/right choice will influence that decision.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
What about the monitor 30s they are wall mountable.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
why "ceiling mounted" ? Even if high, wall mounting would be a superior method.

Shelf type wall mounts which allow the speakers to be aimed at the listening area would be far better than a ceiling array.

Since you don't mount your TV on the ceiling, please try not to mount your speakers there....at least the front 3 should be centered on the TV itself so the sound, dialog in particular, is not floating above the actors on the TV, but locked to them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because there is no wall there.. the TV is mounted on what there is of a wall, only about 4 1/2' across, with no room on either side for speakers because of doorways, which is why I can't place floor speakers. The CS2 is mounted on a shelf above the TV, and the current POS satellites are on ceiling mounts with extensions just above the doorway. They are about as far down as I can go without people bumping heads on them constantly, and they aren't too far out of line with the center.

Yes, very very suboptimal. The lack of a wall behind the fronts is clearly killing the soundstage. In about two years this room is going to be remodeled and I can correct this issue, but for now I'm kind of stuck with it.. which is why I'm not investing too heavily.

I know I can only get so far with this setup but I'd still prefer not to notice huge changes during pans from the CS2 to the left or right. I had Monitor 70s tucked under the tv, but they were so close together there was no image at all.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
"I had Monitor 70s tucked under the TV"......I hope that is a typo, M70's are rather large towers that I don't think you could poke under a TV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it isn't, actually.. they were about 4 1/2 feet tall or so, and since this is just a temporary thing I just mounted the TV high enough to fit them underneath and placed the CS2 above the TV. Needless to say it just didn't work. I moved the TV and CS2 down, and since there were was no room for the Monitor 70s I threw some cheap Sony satellite speakers I had on hand in to see how that worked. Quality obviously suffered but I once again had a semblance of an image
It also didn't look like a monolithic Polk worship idol anymore either! So now I'm pleased with the TV location and I'm so used to the sound of the CS2 that I really don't want to part with it, but I need to do something about the front left and right.. It's very obvious how terrible they are during pans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a diagram:

The Monitor 70s were to either side of the Sub, with the TV and CS2 up higher toward the ceiling. No go. This setup is okay if only for the crappy quality of those two satellites. The Sub is in need of replacement but like I said that will be based on the sats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, okay, I'm willing to entertain the idea of going with Monitor series speakers mounted on the extensions from the ceiling. I think I can make it work with the right mount affixed to the back of the speaker. For weight reasons I'm thinking 30s, but given that I'm using a CS2 instead of a CS1, should I aim for Monitor 40s instead?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts