AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have cable TV (was ATT broadband, now Comcast). The reception is excellent but no HDTV. I have 4 TVs in my home. Will I need a STB for for each TV? I have my kitchen and basement TVs connected to unscrambled cable (no STBs required). LR & Den use STBs. With new HDTV (Panasonic CT-32HX41), I'd like to get HD reception.

What are my choices?

Thanks,

------------------

Tom Taylor

[This message has been edited by Tom Taylor (edited 07-16-2001).]

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Unfortunately satellite TV (like digital cable TV) requires a STB for each TV. The only way around this is to split the RF output from the STB and send it to multiple TVs, but in that case you are watch the same channel on each TV.

This was such a problem for me, I dumped satellite and went back to analog cable where I can watch 3 different cable channels on 3 different TVs with no STBs.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
120 Posts
There are other alternatives, although costly.

If you are in the market for new tv's, you can opt from several big screen and tube models that have built-in DTV tuners. I believe RCA, Mitsubishi, and Toshiba all sell tv's with built in DTV receivers. RCA has a HDTV model with built in DTV decoder.

Keep in mind, I am making no comment as to picture quality or other pros/cons on a combo unit. My comment only relates to a way avoid having STB's for all Tv's.

I initially chose DTV for the NFL package and my dislike for the cable company. Over the past 5 years there have been goosd and bad changes. As I have upgraded to the newer boxes, I just move the older receivers to the seldom used tv's (kitchen,garage).

There are several options available. It just depends how much you have to spend or are willing to spend. New systems go for less tham $70. You could buy 4 new systems, have extra dishes, and spend less than 1 system (over $600) did back in 1994!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Since I have 5 TVs scattered around the house, I kept basic cable and have DirecTV just on the HDTV set in the den. You might want to do the same and just subscribe to DirecTV HBO package, about $12 I think.

Tony

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.