AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a directv dual lnb dish hooked up to the recievers with RG-59 cables. Now the standard is RG-6 cables. Soon i will be upgrading to a double dual lnb dish and hd reciever. Will my sub-par cables not carry a continuous signal through a multiswitch to a hd reciever?

Any info will be appreciated.

P.S.-- My signal now is a constant 92. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Mitsubishi WS-55805

RCA DRD515RB

Pioneer VSX-D608

Pioneer DV-C302D

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
It may or may not be a problem. RG-6 is the recommended cable for DBS signal. Many have used RG-59 without trouble, some have had problems with RG-59.

The thing is this, some RG-59 is better than others. The RG-59 spec can be implemented very differently by different cable manufacturers. And you won't know until you try it. What has happened more times than I can remember, is someone tries it, it works fine for a while, maybe years. Then one day, boom. The system stops working and because the cable always worked before, it's not suspect. After replacing every other component in the system, the cable is finally replaced and voila! everything works again.

My advise is to replace it now, if at all possible.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Only in the way of support for what Ken said: I had RG-6 everywhere but the last two feet out of a wall socket. For a year or more it was perfect and then certain, seemingly random, transponders went missing. Just pull through RG-6 because it is all going to go wrong when you are showing the system off to someone. Art

·
Registered
287 Posts
Lost my sat 119 signal one month ago after having had a good signal for 5 months. At first signal pixalated and then disappeared. I have all RG-6 cable except for the RG-59 cable that runs from the wall to my receiver. Have tried everything including replacing cables outside, by-passing the multi-switch, and even the DTC100 to no avail. After reading your comments, I will replace the RG-59 cable with RG-6 cable. Maybe it will solve my problem.

------------------

gaz

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.