AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing Ebay and noticed the most of the listings for access cards say stuff like "1 access card for sale along with broken receiver, buyer pays $5 shipping for just card and $100 for broken receiver if wanted". I assume that people are doing this because they really don't have the receiver and are somehow covering their butt from getting in trouble?

Aren't the HU cards going (are?) going to be useless anyways with the release of the new cards?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Listing a broken rcvr, or working rcvr for that matter along with the card is a way to keep the auction on eBay w/o them deleting the auction. I'm not sure if selling a card is illegal since you could activate that card w/DirecTV and use it for legit reasons. I would assume however, that most of the people buying them on eBay aren't buying them for legit reasons.

As far as the HU stream going away, I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon. I recently read an article stating that DirecTV has slowed (if not stopped) handing out the new P4 access cards for cost control reasons. They are still getting new cards out to everyone w/DirecTivo systems since the new 3.1.x.x software for those requires the P4 card.

You would think that the $$ they are losing from signal theft would outweigh the cost of them sending out the new P4 cards and they would want those cards out ASAP and then shutdown the HU stream...but what do I know.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I can only tell you that my UTV with the P3 just received a P4 card at Thanksgiving. My 2 deactivated RCA 420RE units stopped getting and programming (like channel 201 Customer info) a little more than two months ago, which I assumed meant they needed the P4.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah forgot to mention UTV. Basically if you have 1 UTV or DirecTivo and any number of other types of rcvr's you will get a P4 card for all of your rcvrs. You didn't get a letter first saying new cards were on the way?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DmgInc
I would assume however, that most of the people buying them on eBay aren't buying them for legit reasons.
That's such a bunch of bull. I'd say that atleast half of the people buying receivers off of ebay do so because it's cheaper. I bought a dish 6000 off of ebay for $400 including the 8vsb module. You can't get it that cheap even as a new subscriber. I also bought my 2nd GAEBO from ebay, and am probably going to get a directivo from there as well. Many people buy them for legit reasons, and in my opinion, the majority of those who do buy off of ebay are legit. The only ones that are probably not legit are the people who are selling from Canada and the people IN canada who are buying D* and E* stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Let me clarify before you get all uppity.

I meant that most people buying JUST THE CARDS are probably buying them for hacking reasons, e.g. the ones that buy from the guys w/the "broken rcvr" listed in the eBay ad as mentioned in the first post of this thread.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DmgInc
Yeah forgot to mention UTV. Basically if you have 1 UTV or DirecTivo and any number of other types of rcvr's you will get a P4 card for all of your rcvrs. You didn't get a letter first saying new cards were on the way?
Nope. No notice. They just sent the 1 card.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.