AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the experts out there....

I just got the Energy Take Classics and I am in the process of wiring/mounting them into my room. I need to know where to put them.

I will try to explain the room the best I can....My living room is 15 x 15 with 8 foot ceilings, with 4 walls, the tv is mounted on one wall, the top of the tv is 6'6" meaning I have 18 inches to mount the speaker above the tv....Do you guys recommend this? I have kids and would perfer to keep it out of their reach....

The left/right front speakers will be on each side of the tv of course....but the rears is what I have a question with....We have a couch in the room that is pushed up to the wall, we want to mount the rears at the same hieght that we mount the center (assuming we put that above the tv), should we get speaker mounts to point the rears at the seating position, or just mount them to the wall with a nail and let the sound shoot over us?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I'm assuming that this is a 5.1 system, meaning that you will have 2 surrounds, not 4. If this is the case, you really want the surrounds to be mounted to the sides of your listening position, not the wall behind it. Can you do that?

That center speaker sounds like it's gonna be mounted wayyy toooo high. You want the tweeter of your center to be as close to level with the tweeters of your l/r fronts as you can and you want the tweeters of all 3 front speakers to be as ear level as possible when seated. Now I realize that doing this is close to impossible in most home situations, so what you will want to do with the three fronts is to angle them in such a way so that they will fire directly at your head.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I it is a 5.1 system.

Let me clarify my questions....

1) Adding in the WAF factor, I need the rears mounted higher then ear level, about a foot or so away form the ceiling. Our couch that we sit on is up against the wall that the rear speakers are, my question is this... At the hieght the rear speakers are mounted (6'6" off the ground) should I leave them pointed straight out or buy speaker mounts and point them down to the seating location???

2) Imagine a Tv mounted on a wall in a 15 x 15 x 8' (ceiling) room. I have to mount three satillite speakers, obviously the left and right will have to be mounted to each side of the tv, which leaves the center to be mounted..I have kids and would like to mount the center above the tv, but I am not completly opposed to mounting it below the tv either, from what I gather the closer to ear level the better....... So does that mean the bottom of the tv? or would I get the same effect with mounting it above the tv and angling it down?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Regarding the center, mount it so that it is as close to level with the right and front mains as you can.

Regarding the rears, can you mount them on the side walls, rather than the rear wall? If they can ONLY be mounted on the rear wall 1 foot from the ceiling, than yes, best to buy mounts and angle them down.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think I would mount it under the tv and LR even with tv on the sides. The rears i yhink people try to get them 5-6ft on the wall which gives them a foot or two above ear level. I recently mounted mines today 6ft and took them off of stands which were 31 inches i think and a BIG improvement IMO. Nothing is blocking the sound from reaching my ear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts