AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Too bad my ABC affiliate is broadcasting HD but at low power. I found this on the ABC MediaNet Site .

"SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER," WITH JOHN TRAVOLTA IN HIS FIRST OSCAR NOMINATED ROLE, AIRS ON "ABC SATURDAY NIGHT AT THE MOVIES" DECEMBER 21

This Classic Feature Airs for the Very First Time in HDTV Format

"Saturday Night Fever," the film that propelled John Travolta to superstardom, makes its HDTV premiere as a presentation of "ABC Saturday Night at the Movies," DECEMBER 21 (8:00-11:00 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network. The movie defined the disco era and earned Travolta his first Best Actor Oscar nomination (he has since been nominated for "Pulp Fiction"). In addition to HDTV format, the telecast features 5.1-channel surround sound and video description. (OAD: 11/16/80)

The Bee Gees provided the original music for the film, and the soundtrack became the biggest seller in history with number one hits "Staying Alive," "Night Fever" and "How Deep Is Your Love."

In "Saturday Night Fever," Travolta portrays 19-year-old paint store clerk Tony Manero, whose dreams revolve around a disco ball which he sees as his ticket to first dominate and eventually escape his surroundings. Tony's white disco suit will forever be a piece of Americana and a symbol of restless youth. The garment was once owned by film critic Gene Siskel and has sold at auction for $145,000.

As a dance competition looms, Tony must choose a partner. There is the girl from his neighborhood, Annette (Donna Pescow, "Jake Speed" and Disney's "Even Stevens"), who loves the ground he walks on, or a "classy" new girl, Stephanie (Karen Lynn Gorney, an original cast member of ABC's "All My Children" as Tara). To Tony, Stephanie, a typist who works in Manhattan at a company where "famous" people occasionally pass through, represents the entire outer world.

"Saturday Night Fever" also stars Barry Miller as Bobby C., Joseph Cali as Joey, Paul Pape as Double J, Bruce Ornstein as Gus, Julie Bovasso as Flo, Martin Shakar as Frank, Sam Coppola as Fusco, Nina Hansen as Grandmother, Lisa Peluso as Linda, Denny Dillon as Doreen, Bert Michaels as Pete, Robert Costanzo as Paint Store Customer and Robert Weil as Becker.

The 1977 release was directed by John Badham ("Stakeout," "Incognito"). The screenplay was written by Norman Wexler ("Serpico," "Staying Alive"), based on the magazine article, "Rites of the New Saturday Night" written by Nik Cohn ("Staying Alive"). The feature is a production of Paramount Pictures and Robert Stigwood Organization (RSO). (CLOSED-CAPTIONED)

"SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER" IN HDTV:

The ABC Television Network's HDTV broadcast of "Saturday Night Fever" will air in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format, with 5.1-channel surround sound and video description.

This program carries a TV-14,D,L,S,V parental guideline.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, HiDefSooner. For the occasion, I'll see if I can locate my old polyester disco clothes. I was one of those who actually took a disco class as a result of this movie.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
This may be on at the same time as the HD Faith Hill concert on NBC...

--

I wonder how many "bumps" this posting will get.... Do the bump, yeah yeah.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
HiDefSooner,

Thanks so much for finding this. BTW, the OAR is 1.85:1 so we should be O.K.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The major networks media sites are great at finding information expect for CBS which has its site password protected.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
It would be nice if US networks, in addition to carrying movies in HDTV, also carried them uncensored.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The movie is raped by censoring for Network TV, so don't bother.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Censor what? There is nothing in this movie that merits censoring. This movie is tame compared to the ones they air today.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Yeah, but I think it was orignally edited for TV during a less forgiving period right? I don't know if they waste the time to do re-edits these days. I still get a kick out of watching a movie on TV these days and the words that are edited out are words I hear every night on network shows.

·
Preditor
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz
Censor what? There is nothing in this movie that merits censoring. This movie is tame compared to the ones they air today.
The language gets harsh in areas (vulgar female and racist comments), and the nudity of the table dancer (in the bar) about mid-point in the film.

I'm not offended by it....

-brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.