AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remembering the midnight movie showings of Fellini's Satyricon at my favorite pot hazed theater in my youth, I had it in the NetFlix que for sentimental reasons.

I was expecting a terrible transfer and a movie that aged poorly into a spoof of itself. One thing I had going for me was that my memory of it was vague - considering the 3 times I saw it 20 years ago I was completely baked.

But anyway, I was surprised that the transfer looked much better than I remember it in the theaters. Amazing. And the movie was still as much over-the-top fun as I'd remembered. I actually watched the movie a second time which I rarely do.

It was a real suprise to see this childhood favorite hasn't lost any of its appeal through the ages, and that the transfer made it a must own for me.

disclaimer: not for the unadventurous

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy
Remembering the midnight movie showings of Fellini's Satyricon at my favorite pot hazed theater in my youth, I had it in the NetFlix que for sentimental reasons.

I was expecting a terrible transfer and a movie that aged poorly into a spoof of itself. One thing I had going for me was that my memory of it was vague - considering the 3 times I saw it 20 years ago I was completely baked.

But anyway, I was surprised that the transfer looked much better than I remember it in the theaters. Amazing. And the movie was still as much over-the-top fun as I'd remembered. I actually watched the movie a second time which I rarely do.

It was a real suprise to see this childhood favorite hasn't lost any of its appeal through the ages, and that the transfer made it a must own for me.

disclaimer: not for the unadventurous
Great Fellini Film. I still pull out my Criterion LD every once in a while to rewatch it. I am glad to hear that it has been treated well in the world of DVD.

·
Banned
143 Posts
Like other great movies of the time, Chinatown, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Amarcord, I remember exactly when and where I saw Satyricon.

Like Woodstock it was an exhilarating experience, Roman style, in fact much worse than Woodstock, and I loved every bit of it, sex and all.

The DVD is sensational. I think colours are even better on my front projector now than I can recall in the theater.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I was disappointed. Not top drawer Fellini, and Rota's score was disappointing too, though I haven't seen it in thirty years or more. I have been tempted by the inexpensive DVD.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not top drawer Fellini? For me it's the definitive Fellini, and I agree that the colors and PQ on the DVD is much better than I remember in the theaters. I'm also using a FP, and the transfer is really well done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.