AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On TitanTV it says that WTOC (CBS) in Savannah is now broadcasting in HDTV and digital. Can anyone confirm this? :confused: If so I need to pickup an antenna.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can confirm. I bought an antenna and now have CBS in HDTV and digital. Just started broadcasting in the last few days and still lots of bugs. Like audio sync, up converts at wrong aspect, and switching between a HDTV and up convert signal.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
They still have lots of bugs, sound is more on left than right on local stuff. No guide info

WSAV seems to love mono sound.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I lost WTOC a few days ago, they made some changes and my STB will not lock on even with good signal. WSAV works fine.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Must be someone with HDTV here in Sav

·
Registered
32 Posts
Any recent experiences with HDTV reception in Savannah, GA? I'm thinking of buying a STB but would appreciate any input regarding quality/consistancy of reception here.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
WSAV ch3 NBC DTV 39 and WTOC ch 11 DTV ch15 have been on for over a yr at full power FOX 28 DTV27 is low power. Both WSAV and WTOC have sound problems, they have been mono for many yrs and now it is going to take some station upgrades to get the bugs out. Mono and DD5.1 do not work well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
oljim,

Thanks for your reply! If FOX is broadcasting at low power, does that mean I'd have more difficulty tuning in? I live on Wilmington Island (east of downtown Savannah) and wonder how powerful an antenna I'd need. Also, by sound problems, do you mean loss of sound or issues with incorrect localization of mono sound on 5.1 setups?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
MenoMosso

WTOC dtv15 has had a sync issue on network feeds from day one, lips are 1/2 word behind sound and no DD5.1

WSAV says they have DD5.1 but I get very little if any sound from frt center speaker in DD5. but they do admit they need to upgrade station from old mono system.

I would try a Radio Shack U 75 UHF ant. Only $22 and it works good on all the Sav stations here in Beaufort and we are 33- 35 miles from towers.

You are under 15 miles.

I have an old Chan. Master 1160 with amp and get 2-3 stations from Charlestion, and 3-5 stations from Jax. Fl.

I am useing a Sami T 151 STB and they are down to $280 at Sams club in Sav.

I also use a CM 9521 rotor (w/remote)

I am not sure how well you can pick up FOX 28 (dtv 27) from where you are

Go to www.antennaweb.org

put in your add and see if all the stations are in the same direction. ABC was going to be on by now but I have yet to find a signal.

All the Sav stations are or will be on UHF ch so the R/S U 75 should work good for you.

Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for all the info, oljim.

I wonder how long it will take for the locals to upgrade their sound. I think I'll wait until ABC starts broadcasting. HDTV Monday Night Football would be the clincher for me.

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
OK will let you know when ABC is up and going, clk the box below, subscribe to this thread and I will keep you up to speed on the Sav stations

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am located in Beaufort, SC and I'm curious about what all I would have to buy to get OTA HD channels. I already know I will need a HDTV receiver but as far as an antenna will I have to mount a big outdoor antenna or is it possible to use an indoor one? Hopefully its not too long until Charter gets on the ball and has HDTV available here. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You will need a good outside UHF ant and rotor All the stations in Sav and Charleston are on UHF. I will be to old to pick up my remote by the time charter get HDTV.

At this time Sav has CBS 11.1 dtv 15 NBC 3.1 dtv 39 and Fox 28 dtv27 which is so low in power you would need an ant in the parking lot at the station to pick up.

Both 11.1 and 3.1 have big audio problems both have DD-5 they say but 11.1 has a big audio sync problem and 3.1 sounds like sound is from a long pipe.

On the good side is 5.1 out of Charleston, they come in good down here and keep us up to date on what is going on in this form ( see charleston thread)

4.1 is on but low power as well as 2.1 24.1 and 36.1

Your best bet for an ant would be the Channel Master 4228 an 8 bow tie ant

Jim

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
dubbledout Pm me for more info

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.