1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is what I have..

Directv with HD DVR

24" Intel iMac

What do I need to do to be able to save TV onto my computer? What is the most cost effective way to get it in HD and easiest also? The main problem I see is that the computer and tv box are 3 rooms and about 70 feet apart. I would not be against buying a separate Mac Mini to setup near the Directv box and just swapping the hard drive out for a larger one.

I am just for the most part clueless on what I need to do and was told to head this way for help.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Does your DirecTV box have component out? If so, look into the threads about the Hauppauge HD PVR, no hackage required, fully supported by several software options in OS X, including EyeTV and a new capture program by Steve Toth. If not, switch to cable.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's my setup. I have DirecTV HD - with component out to the HD-PVR. EyeTV (software) works like a champ, and the setup works fine.

Not perfect, but definitely pretty good solution. Prices have come down a bit on the HD-PVR - I've heard you can buy it at a good price from Dell of all places...

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/16983826

Does your DirecTV box have component out? If so, look into the threads about the Hauppauge HD PVR, no hackage required, fully supported by several software options in OS X, including EyeTV and a new capture program by Steve Toth. If not, switch to cable.

Totally forgot about the Hauppauge...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyLions /forum/post/16984159

That's my setup. I have DirecTV HD - with component out to the HD-PVR. EyeTV (software) works like a champ, and the setup works fine.

Not perfect, but definitely pretty good solution. Prices have come down a bit on the HD-PVR - I've heard you can buy it at a good price from Dell of all places...

So pretty much I just buy the HD PVR, run a cable to it from the directv box, and then connect what to the mac mini?

Once the TV is on the mac mini, i can send it wirelessly to my iMac through my Airport Extreme correct?

How do I get it into .ISO format for burning after that and compressed enough to fit onto a DVD ?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
So pretty much I just buy the HD PVR, run a cable to it from the directv box, and then connect what to the mac mini?

Hopefully by now you've googled the Hauppauge, but in case you haven't, you connect to your Mac via USB.

Just buying the Hauppauge isn't enough, though--you need to buy software as well. EyeTV or Steve Toth's HDPVRCapture:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1081590

Quote:
Once the TV is on the mac mini, i can send it wirelessly to my iMac through my Airport Extreme correct?

Assuming your Extreme is an "n" model, you should be OK; most of us don't stream high def video wirelessly, though, and rely on gigabit.

Quote:
How do I get it into .ISO format for burning after that and compressed enough to fit onto a DVD ?

Your best bet is to read the threads about the device and the software, most of your questions have already been asked and answered a long time ago. Most Hauppauge users, I suspect, don't burn to dvd, though that is possible; instead, it's a lot easier once you have the recording, to transcode it into an Apple-friendly format (like the 720p capable of being played back by the Apple TV) and then store it on hard drives.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/16989876

... instead, it's a lot easier once you have the recording, to transcode it into an Apple-friendly format (like the 720p capable of being played back by the Apple TV) and then store it on hard drives.

I'm using EyeTV with the HD-PVR, and I've NEVER been able to transcode content created by the HD-PVR to 720p formatted AppleTV files. The problem is that the AppleTV only supports 720p @ 24fps, and the HD-PVR captures at a higher frame rate (29.97, I believe).

My 1080i or 720p always ends up at n x 540, instead of 1280x720...

Did I miss something?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
I'm using EyeTV with the HD-PVR, and I've NEVER been able to transcode content created by the HD-PVR to 720p formatted AppleTV files

Staying within EyeTV, I don't know--maybe you have to step outside EyeTV to pull off the post conversion or maybe the files themselves are somehow compromised when captured by EyeTV? One user over at the El Gato forum talked about getting aTV-acceptable files in this thread:

http://forums.elgato.com/viewtopic.p...=4182&start=50

The main AVS member who recorded with the Hauppauge and successfully transcoded specifically for the aTV was MichaelLAX, and when he started posting about his process EyeTV didn't support the device yet and he had to rely on Windows software for at least part of the process. Re-reading his posting history might help, and the big HDPVRCapture thread here has always had the best info. I think he used VisualHub and HandBrake to transcode to aTV compliant H.264, and edited with MPEG Streamclip. Maybe there's something about capturing with EyeTV that interferes with the transcode later--and I think he also had hacked his aTV to pull it off. I do remember there was a long exchange about it...

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
The bit about getting the Hauppauge HD PVR recordings to play back on the Apple TV is complicated...but that's all post-processing, after the recording, and it's something you won't have to deal with since you'll be playing the recordings back with your iMac, the process for you will be pretty straightforward. Read the FAQ about HDPVRCapture at Steve Toth's blog--if you just want to end up with files that are Quicktime and iTunes compatible, those kinks have already been worked out and it's easier to comprehend.

Basically, what device will I use for playback? Depending on that device, and what playback software you want to use, you may or may not have to convert that file to a different format, but how to convert it has already been worked out for you.

Realize, though, that up until recently there was no legal way to get those high def recordings off your DirecTV box and onto your Mac at all--the Hauppauge device changed that--no manufacturer or content provider actually wants to make it easy for you to grasp how to do this. That's also why they're so scared of the "analog hole" that the component output offers--and why some newer boxes don't have component on them! Same thing as with firewire outputs on cable boxes--even though those are supposedly legally mandated.

So, disregard the little meta-discussion about transcoding for the Apple TV, recording your DirecTV channels and watching recordings on your iMac is really pretty straightforward--and folks on the HDPVRCapture thread will hold your hand all the way through because, well, the guy who wrote the software uses that thread as his unofficial customer support forum. can't ask for more than that. But, if even that is too much, realistically you might want to ask yourself why do you want high def television recordings on your Mac in the first place? It may be that a Tivo might suit you better...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mainly wanted to get them to my iMac to burn to archive Gators football games honestly as well as other sporting events like the All Star Game and stuff for baseball.

I also would like to be able to play movies on my iMac, share them to my Mac Mini and play them on the tv through the Mac Mini.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingremains10 /forum/post/16999781

I mainly wanted to get them to my iMac to burn to archive Gators football games honestly as well as other sporting events like the All Star Game and stuff for baseball.

I also would like to be able to download movies on my iMac, share them to my Mac Mini and play them on the tv through the Mac Mini.

ewwww...

You should probably just check the Tebow forums. They have all the answers.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/16992774

Staying within EyeTV, I don't know--maybe you have to step outside EyeTV to pull off the post conversion or maybe the files themselves are somehow compromised when captured by EyeTV? One user over at the El Gato forum talked about getting aTV-acceptable files in this thread:

http://forums.elgato.com/viewtopic.p...=4182&start=50

The main AVS member who recorded with the Hauppauge and successfully transcoded specifically for the aTV was MichaelLAX, and when he started posting about his process EyeTV didn't support the device yet and he had to rely on Windows software for at least part of the process. Re-reading his posting history might help, and the big HDPVRCapture thread here has always had the best info. I think he used VisualHub and HandBrake to transcode to aTV compliant H.264, and edited with MPEG Streamclip. Maybe there's something about capturing with EyeTV that interferes with the transcode later--and I think he also had hacked his aTV to pull it off. I do remember there was a long exchange about it...

I created all kinds of AppleTV compatible content from the HDPVR, - it just ended up at 960 by 540 at 30fps. Taking 720p at 30fps from the HDvR and trying to convert that to 720p at 24fps I believe has issues with jerkiness due to missing frames. I think the key is to start with 24fps content, which the HDPVR doesn't give you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts