AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you can afford the money for the Sharp Z 90 U then go for it. I've recently had the opportunity to test out several different projectors. I've been able to test projectors like the NEC LT 150,240,260, Dell 3200 Mp, models from Plus, Optima, In Focus and Sharp. I've been very fortunate to have friends in the Audio Visual industry. So I've been able to take these projectors home and test them head-to-head.

All projectors have been tested on the same screen in the same room with the same light conditions and adjusted with the Avia test disk. I've also had equal amount of time with each projector brand to make the necessary adjustments to try to make those projectors look the best that they possibly could. After experiencing several projectors all within a price range of approximately $1000(Canadian dollars) of each other. I've come to the conclusion that the Sharp Z90U is the best of these projectors. It's not the cheapest but out of the box I felt that the Sharp had the best overall picture and using the Avia test disk I was able to have the Sharp looking the best of all the other projectors I had tested.

I don't discount the possibility that with the proper tweaking and modifications other projectors can look better or equal to the Sharp, but if you're not interested in taking apart your projector using lens filters, building hush boxes or making other modifications the Sharp is the choice for you. Based on specs from some of the other projectors I've tried they should have been better. I've deffinetly learned that specs don't mean anything. I believe the key to the Sharp in a home theater capacity is the five-speed color wheel. I do not see the rainbow effects that others do, but I did have other people view the projectors who did see the rainbow effects and the same people when viewing the Sharp did not see the rainbows or if they did they were very few and far between.

I'm located in Canada and I've noticed that the projector prices in Canada are definitely higher than the prices in the U.S. and I don't mean just because of the exchange. By doing some research it appears that the Sharp can be purchased in the U.S. between $2200 and $2500. I've not checked the prices of the other projectors I tested in U.S. funds but I believe that there's probably no more than a $700 difference in price from the least expensive to the Sharp again that is just speculation. I came very close to choosing the Dell 3200 MP for the Canadian price of $3500 delivered and taxes in which is pretty close to the best price in Canada.

Even though the sharp was still $1000 more the difference in my opinion was substantiated. I'm pretty much exclusively using the projector for movies. But I have watched TV and the Sharp did an excellent job of reproducing images without any flicker, haziness or pixelization. I noticed that the other projectors when viewing a hockey game that they would lose the puck because the image was to quick for the projector to reproduce it.

I hope that this information will help you make an informed choice when it comes to purchasing a projector. It's information like this allowed me the opportunity to purchase the right projector for my application. I have received a lot of input from people on this forum and its because of these types of exchanges that I have purchased a projector that I'm very happy with. Thank you for all your help. My AV room is now complete. I will be taking pictures and posting them soon. Thank you again your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This is exactly the kind of info that makes this forum so valuable, thanks

for the post.

Could you PM me with where you bought and how much you paid ??

Thanks.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I bet this is an excellent post. Seriously.

I just can't read it without paragraph breaks. FWIW.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Could you post more info on the screen type and size? The Z90 is near the top of my short list of projectors. SVGA resolution seems to be its only weakness (in this price category that is...). Was pixelation a problem for you? How far back were you sitting?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Thanks for the info whiteyford

Is this a DLP or a LCD projector?

Does it have a DVI input?

Can it handle HD resolutions?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I hate to say this, but it sounds like the Sharp was the only projector you tested that was made specifically for home theater and has a color wheel speed of 5X- that makes a difference. I do agree with you that the unit looks good. They sell them at Best Buy and have them on display where I live. It is my understaning that the optics and color wheel are the same as the big brother 10000U. Of course BB sells it for $2800, but you have 18 months to pay that off. If there will be a revised X1 coming out with a faster color wheel, it may be worth waiting however.

Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Sharp Z90U is a Dlp projector. It has DVI input and is HD ready. The screen is 4:3 Da lite Grey back Perma Wall cinema perf. I didn't want to move my center channel. I chose not to go with a 16:9 screen for expandability reason. I use my screen for PS2 and T.V. so i felt the 4:3 would work best for me. I haven't noticed any pixelization problems. I tested a perferated screen to a non perf and from about 12 ft away you can't really notice a difference. I sit 12 ft away in my front row and about1 5 ft away in the rear. I am going to try to post some pix

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.