AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a giant Escape From L.A poster for a long time. Of all the posters I have, it's everyones favorite. Sadly it's largness is it's downfall, it's gotten beaten up a few times, last time a gust of wind came through the house and tore a 6in rip down the top of the middle. I considered discarding it, but a piece of tape on the back side will make it look ok.

But what I want to do is make it more secure. I'd like to glue it to a piece of plywood. It's a thicker poster than most, almost like thin cardboard, so it needs to be string stuff. Any advice on this?

Or if anyone knows where to find another Giant sized Escape from L.A poster, as I have been unable to locate one.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I would stop in at a framing store or art supply store and they would most certainly have a poster-board material that would be better suited. Have you thought about framing this poster, that might prevent any more damage?

·
Registered
90 Posts
If it's worth keeping, it's worth framing.

Don't try to mount it yourself, take it to a frame store. Framing can be expensive but if you price shop you should be able to get it done for around $100 for a basic frame unless it's just HUGE.

I collect concert billings and posters and while some of the more ornate frames I have used on some of my favorites have been very pricey, I have movie poster sized stuff that I had done for under $50.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You can use super 77 to spray mount but the real trick is to spread the poster on the plywood/mdf evenly otherwise you'll get bubbles. And the bigger the poster, the hard to remove the bubbles. I'd practice on newspaper or similar first before attempting on the poste.

Victor

·
Registered
346 Posts
You might consider dry mounting . As Tom and Chino suggested, have it done professionally, it could be cheaper than framing though, plus you can mount to just about any flat surface.

·
Registered
520 Posts
As Chino stated,
Quote:
if it's worth keeping frame it

. I have been using poster frames from Michaels and they have 50% off every few weeks so you can do it yourself and save alot. Personally I wouldn't glue it....

Bob

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd have to measure exactly, but it's in the range of 40x60, and I remember it's an odd size. Maybe I'll check out Michaels or Hobby Lobby and see about some DIY options. I don't have the money to let someone else do it atm.

As for my idea, I would think bubbles could be avoided since it's a thick poster, but I hate to take a chance with it.

Hey... if I had a 27x40 poster, could Kinko's(or someone) somehow scan it and blow it up to a giant poster size? I once had them make a 27x40 Zatoichi poster from a DVD cover, a bit fuzzy but it worked really well. I just dunno if they could scan a huge poster like that to reproduce it.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 /forum/post/14332708

I'd have to measure exactly, but it's in the range of 40x60, and I remember it's an odd size. Maybe I'll check out Michaels or Hobby Lobby and see about some DIY options. I don't have the money to let someone else do it atm.

As for my idea, I would think bubbles could be avoided since it's a thick poster, but I hate to take a chance with it.

Hey... if I had a 27x40 poster, could Kinko's(or someone) somehow scan it and blow it up to a giant poster size? I once had them make a 27x40 Zatoichi poster from a DVD cover, a bit fuzzy but it worked really well. I just dunno if they could scan a huge poster like that to reproduce it.

A Scan and print job of that size would probably cost you more than framing the old one AND finding a new one combined.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts