AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on building a dedicated HTPC within a few months to use when I finally purchase a projector. What I'd like to do is backup my dvds to a hardrive to use in the HTPC.

I'm wondering if there is any way to back up a dvd to divx. I'm not talking about just the movie, I mean the whole thing menues, extras, etc... Also will divx look ok on an 108" screen?

I have used divx in the past, but I don't know if there is any way to backup an entire dvd in divx format. I only have done the movie. I also know how to decrease the size of a dvd by about 50% by ripping out extra languages and re-encoding the video. Since I would like to store all of my dvds on 1 or 2 120 gig hardrives I don't want to use 4.38 gigs of hard drive space per movie.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

-Caleb

·
Registered
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by IamCaleb

I'm wondering if there is any way to back up a dvd to divx. I'm not talking about just the movie, I mean the whole thing menues, extras, etc...

I'm no expert, but not that I've read. Have you checked at Doom 9? There may be some authoring software that would allow you to do it, but considering the time it takes messing with Divx to start with, the menus would be a real PITA!

Quote:
Originally posted by IamCaleb

Also will divx look ok on an 108" screen? ...
IMO, No. Divx is a reduction in quality. It may be fine for those viewing on a smaller direct view monitor, but it's not comparable to Mpeg2 via DVD. When you do finally get your projector up, I think you'll find that reduction in quality is not acceptible. It's not to me, anyway!

So also plan a media server! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.