AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might as well be DVD vs Blu-ray, since this HDTV broadcast (Sky movies UK) looks so low in resolution it easily could have been upscaled from a SD source. But the TNT-HD broadcast looks about the same, so maybe the old transfer is really that bad.

If you're like me, during the DVD days you put the DTS DVD in as an audio demo, but ended up sitting through the whole movie, many many times. So if you are very familiar with the film like me, the new colors (brighter, but not blown out) might take some getting used to. Otherwise, amazing transfer.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Awesome job Eric, can't wait to pick this up. Definitely enjoyed these comparisons more than your last thread (and that's no slight to you).

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Just shows you what film is really capable of if given the proper treatment. With movies like this, Fight Club, and surely Minority Report, all which have been expected to be poor quality, it shows that even if they are stylized/degraded that they still can look great if given a modern transfer.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
I'm glad to see this, but damn.....It's not like this is the feel good movie of the year.
I actually find it to be very intense viewing. Excellent filmmaking, but intense.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My God, on the BD, you can even make out the individual slats of the white picket fence way in the background of shot #15. That's phenomenal work, and I haven't a shadow of a doubt that Spielberg himself oversaw the creation of this release all the way until the final pressing!

·
Registered
4,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 /forum/post/18428975

Just shows you what film is really capable of if given the proper treatment. With movies like this, Fight Club, and surely Minority Report, all which have been expected to be poor quality, it shows that even if they are stylized/degraded that they still can look great if given a modern transfer.

It shows when a studio wants to devote a little extra care and resources, that almost all films can look spectacular on Blu-ray. Most of the time though we are getting obsolete transfers picked out by marketing personnel and inexperienced technicians, who likely were not of adult age when many of these films first premiered.

The pictures provided above of Saving Private Ryan expose the awful choices that Warner's home video department made regarding the recent Lord Of The Rings Blu-ray.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Awesome, the BD is a must-have.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
yeah i think i won't be cancelling my preorder

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladic /forum/post/18429556

not a very good transfer imo

lol

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
damn this looks to be perfect from the caps, the grain is intact and it looks like the color timng was corrected, can't wait, just wish this movie was 2.40:1 LOL

-Gary

1 - 20 of 158 Posts