AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
After you loose all that nasty compression and EE things start to look pretty damn good. Do you know what the HDTV bit rate was vs BD Eric? Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Okay I figured it out. Hopefully the BD will not be as bad as the screen captures. The color is definetly too light in the fighting scenes and the farm scene. As to the beach, been there and seen it a couple of years ago

You "grain" lovers really crack me up. Film has grain because it is an imperfect method of capturing images, be it movie or still life. Sometimes there is an artistic intent but usually NOT. With earlier movie film, there was intense lighting to permit the use of slower speed film to avoid grain, but alas, people have gotten use to it so they do not object as much. And the more modern films have more grain....

In time of the chemical processing of photos as the only method available, photo experts did not jump up and down and holler "great grain, love the grain structure, it is so intact.....yadada". same back then for movies as well

Indeed, it was just the opposite, and grain was about as despised as digital noise is now.

I suppose some day we will have people going on about great digital noise, it so intact. That would make just as much sense.

of course I do not advocate the overdone productions of excessive DNR where the result turns out to be Patton.......but please try to understand film grain and digital noise are one in the same, just technical PROBLEMS.

Sort of like claiming to be enjoying vinyl records because one can get to hear the pops and scratches

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVisone /forum/post/18433689

Okay I figured it out. Hopefully the BD will not be as bad as the screen captures. The color is definetly too light in the fighting scenes and the farm scene. As to the beach, been there and seen it a couple of years ago

You "grain" lovers really crack me up. Film has grain because it is an imperfect method of capturing images, be it movie or still life. Sometimes there is an artistic intent but usually NOT. With earlier movie film, there was intense lighting to permit the use of slower speed film to avoid grain, but alas, people have gotten use to it so they do not object as much. And the more modern films have more grain....

In time of the chemical processing of photos as the only method available, photo experts did not jump up and down and holler "great grain, love the grain structure, it is so intact.....yadada". same back then for movies as well

Indeed, it was just the opposite, and grain was about as despised as digital noise is now.

I suppose some day we will have people going on about great digital noise, it so intact. That would make just as much sense.

of course I do not advocate the overdone productions of excessive DNR where the result turns out to be Patton.......but please try to understand film grain and digital noise are one in the same, just technical PROBLEMS.

Sort of like claiming to be enjoying vinyl records because one can get to hear the pops and scratches

Way to miss the point. People are applauding the presence of grain because it represents a high fidelity reproduction of the original (ostensibly the point of the format), not because grain is totally awesome. Though cinematographer Janusz Kaminski thinks it is, you may want to look for some quotes from him before spouting off

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm not digging the new look of this and Minority Report. I like the detail and film grain, but I would much rather have it look like it did on the DVD in regards to color timing and contrast. They didn't use the bleach bypass film prints for SPR and Minority Report as reference for the new Blu-rays. Sucks

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgesp /forum/post/18433953

They didn't use the bleach bypass film prints for SPR and Minority Report as reference for the new Blu-rays. Sucks

They may well have. Bleach bypass leaves the silver halide in the color film, desaturing colors and increasing contrast, but it doesn't give the film a blue/green tint, to my knowledge. Considering how bad it is otherwise, it's a bit odd to assume the colors on the old transfer are correct.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This blu-ray sure could have used the maximum bitrate. Although the encode is good, there are place where one can see the bitrate was struggling. That heavy grain and insane action must eat tons of it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I like the new colors myself, it brings out a lot of the detail in this film that I never knew was there. A big improvement over the DVD and even the HDTV broadcast.

·
Banned
8,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 /forum/post/18433999

They may well have. Bleach bypass leaves the silver halide in the color film, desaturing colors and increasing contrast, but it doesn't give the film a blue/green tint, to my knowledge. Considering how bad it is otherwise, it's a bit odd to assume the colors on the old transfer are correct.

Did they do a bypass? I thought it was all done digitally

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Liked the coloring of the TV/DVD version. While I saw it in the theaters twice, I can't remember which is a more accurate representation of the original. I'm excited to get it on BD thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Happy to see this movie getting a good treatment
Thanks for sharing those pics.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

Quote:

As to the beach, been there and seen it a couple of years ago

This is a movie, not your vacation. Any color values you saw at the filming location on some random day have exactly *squat* to do with the intended look of this movie.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The Normandy landings were shot in Ireland (in case anyone didn't know). Anyway, one of my good friends now lives in Ireland (near Waterford) and a work collegue of his said that he was actually in the Normandy landing sequence playing a US soldier. I will have to get him to point himself out to me at some point, perhaps the blu ray might make things a bit clearer to spot!

·
Registered
6,980 Posts

Quote:

You "grain" lovers really crack me up. Film has grain because it is an imperfect method of capturing images, be it movie or still life. Sometimes there is an artistic intent but usually NOT.

The grain is part of the film. That means that a faithful reproduction of the film will include the grain. If you don't LIKE the look of a faithful BR, that means you don't like the look of the film.

So DON'T BUY IT, and let those who do like its look enjoy it.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Saving private Ryan basicly started the artistic grain usage. If any movie should have grain, this is it.

As for the colors, from what I have heard the colorization of this was done optical and not digital.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Spielberg/Kaminski didn't do a full DI until The Terminal. Even A.I. was timed the old-fashioned way for non-CG shots. (So was War of the Worlds, incidentally.)

·
Banned
8,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Average /forum/post/18437732

Spielberg/Kaminski didn't do a full DI until The Terminal. Even A.I. was timed the old-fashioned way for non-CG shots. (So was War of the Worlds, incidentally.)

Learn something new .....

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenUK /forum/post/18430258

I think I prefer the HDTV colour timing in one screencap - the shot of the beach traps has a much darker, greener hue in the HDTV version. I remember seeing the film at the cinema back in 1998, though I can't honestly remember specifics about colour.

Compare this DVD shot: http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/3064/spr8tv.png

...to this BD shot: http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6297/spr8bd.png

I think the colors on the BD look infinitely better there. Paramount really knocked one out of the park this time, right up there with Braveheart. Can't wait until my copy arrives.

41 - 60 of 158 Posts