AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. not sure where to post this..but i wanted to ask...anyone else get video glows and flares from the fires in the opening 1/2 hour of this movie? is that just how it was filmed? or could it be something with my video switching causing this going through my receiver? i'm using 480p and component cables. i just never noticed this effect before. any thoughts? TIA

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil
ok. not sure where to post this..but i wanted to ask...anyone else get video glows and flares from the fires in the opening 1/2 hour of this movie? is that just how it was filmed? or could it be something with my video switching causing this going through my receiver? i'm using 480p and component cables. i just never noticed this effect before. any thoughts? TIA
What hardware is involved here?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
I assume you never watched this in the theater. The movie was shot in a specific way, with a lot of flaring and gritty film effects (fast shutter, i believe... hand-held camera... etc.) to make everything feel more real and dangerous... as if it were a documentary.

So, yeah... your equipment is fine.

-Terry

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya. i did see it in the theater, and i have watched the movie tons of times...but i just never noticed this before...i guess i might have been drunk or something...but the glow and flarring from the firest etc...and grittyness...i just never noticed it before..i wanted to make sure it wasnot my new receiver that i am bypassing through...the 1015tx...i have never had my HT setup going through the receiver before...so i was curious. thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quote:
ya. i did see it in the theater, and i have watched the movie tons of times...but i just never noticed this before...i guess i might have been drunk or something...but the glow and flarring from the firest etc...and grittyness...i just never noticed it before..i wanted to make sure it wasnot my new receiver that i am bypassing through...the 1015tx...i have never had my HT setup going through the receiver before...so i was curious. thanks
Strange... the film "errors" (like flares, shutter speed and light leak/smear probably due to the film being shaken in the handheld camera) were one of the things I noticed first in the theater. The way the movie was shot was, in my opinion, very interesting and effective... although I think some people think the handheld camera thing is overdone (in general.)

There IS a possibility that the problem you are talking about isn't the same thing I am talking about. Do you have a specific time when you see the error (so I can check my copy?)

-Terry

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just watched the opening 20 minutes... and didn't notice any specific smearing/flaring with the two instances of fire (flamethrower exploding... and landing boat on fire with men getting out.)

Does the smearing disappear if you bypass the receiver?

-Terry

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Quote:

I've noticed this as well, it's quite evident just before the grenades are thrown into the pill box in the opening sequence and continues during the "I've just washed my hands for supper" scenes. The flaring or whatever is predominantly vertical sometimes from top to bottom of screen.

I believe vintage "period" optics were used on the cameras therefore the lack of modern anti-glare coatings is the cause of this.

I suppose it maybe helpful to add that this glare has been noticeable with my X1 through component using a toshiba as source and with my 4805 with panny S97 irregardless of analog or digital connection. It's definitely on my DVD.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok. we are talking about the same scenes then...that's good. i really noticed it from the fire int he garbage cans in the "i just washed for supper" part. so i'm glad to hear it's not just me....thanks guys

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ah... i see the "flaring" (mostly vertical, as noted) of the fire, right at the beginning of the scene when the Germans are getting picked off in the small trench (around 24 minutes in) and the "washed for supper" scene (25:20). Yeah, that's definitely on the DVD (and original film.)

-Terry

·
Registered
60 Posts
Actually, if I remember correctly, the film was shot with several cameras, each of which had some sort of simulated defect (shutter, light leak etc.). Check us.imdb.com and then the trivia section.

*NOT* the right choice for a first movie to check out all your new fancy gear ;-)

·
Registered
28,089 Posts
Before you ask, The Matrix is supposed to be green too.

Reactions: phildaant

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Before you ask, The Matrix is supposed to be green too.
so does that mean if i watch it in 720p and get the colorspace all wrong it actually might look normal??? :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.