AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the latest victim of the infinite reboot problem. I've an upgraded 5040 with 190 hours of shows recorded that I'd like to try to save!

I tried copying the system and mpeg partition from my current (and rebooting) 200 GB disk, but that just gave me another disk that reboots constantly. So I patched a NEW 200 GB disk with an old backed up system disk. This works, but, of course, does not contain my old shows.

Since the corruption seems to be on the system partition, is there any way to extract all my shows from the old disk still?

If I try to patch the mpeg partition from this corrupt disk onto the system partition from the old (non-corrupt) disk, then the system won't even recognize these shows, will it????

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I've never used extracttv, but perhaps it will do the trick? Allow you to move things onto your pc, so you can serve them up via dvarchive?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never used it either...

Is it like DVArchive but it lets you use the disk directly from your PC, but without a PC (in my case, Windows) based partition?

Of course, I can't get the Replay to boot with the old disk so using DVArchive is out of the question....

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
All I know is that you hook your replay harddrive directly to your pc and extract the shows directly to your pc's drive. Search for it and you should find the info you need -- hopefully you'll be able to save your shows.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Alan.

I've got it installed now. And the old drive is already in my PC.

The problem is that while my Win device manager sees the drive, it doesn't have a Windows drive letter yet and I've been hesitant to run the WD setup utility. I guess I'll have to take that plunge to get the Extract program to see the drive.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
USE EXTRACT!

I've gone through your same problem. windows WILL NOT show the drive, but it doesn't matter. windows doesn't see it because it's not formatted into a dos or windows recognizable file system. but don't worry, but especially, don't change the drive. extract will read the drive and you can pull off all the shows. the only problem is that (at least for me) extact can't read the show listings. you just have to extract all the mpegs and open them up to see what they are. sucks, but if anyone knows more than me, feel freel to tell me.

the other thing is, i think doing a low level format of the drive really helps. what might be happening on a rebooting replay is that it's writing into a bad sector. if you do a low level format, which takes forever, it'll mark that sector and make sure nothing gets written to it. so far, i haven't had a problem (knock on wood) afer doing a low level format. before that, i've gone through the reboot of death 3 times.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
Thanks, Alan.

I've got it installed now. And the old drive is already in my PC.

The problem is that while my Win device manager sees the drive, it doesn't have a Windows drive letter yet and I've been hesitant to run the WD setup utility. I guess I'll have to take that plunge to get the Extract program to see the drive.

Wish me luck!
No, don't use the WD setup utility. That would partiion the drive, but a replay harddrive shouldn't have windows partitions, anbd I think you will have wiped out your shows if you go down that road. Hope we're not too late.

Let us know how this all turns out.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK... I was running the windows shell for Extract RTV, which doesn't let you specify the device I wanted to extract from and was failing to auto detect my Replay drive. Command line version works, however.

I've successfully extracted one show: the mpg, evt and ndx files all extracted successfully. Now I'd like for DVArchive to be able to see them, thus letting me play them back over my Replay.

But just putting them in my guide directory that I use for DVArchive, but the program still doens't see the shows. There must be some step I'm missing to let DVA know about the shows.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plyons10
OK... I was running the windows shell for Extract RTV, which doesn't let you specify the device I wanted to extract from and was failing to auto detect my Replay drive. Command line version works, however.

I've successfully extracted one show: the mpg, evt and ndx files all extracted successfully. Now I'd like for DVArchive to be able to see them, thus letting me play them back over my Replay.

But just putting them in my guide directory that I use for DVArchive, but the program still doens't see the shows. There must be some step I'm missing to let DVA know about the shows.
Great progress. But to get the shows into dvarchive, don't you have to use dvarchive's 'import' command? (I could be wrong on this, it's just a guess.)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am just an impatient little person.

Yes, Alan, you are right. It's still a little tricky, but I have successfully imported one of my shows. It's a little tricky actually -- my first couple of attempts failed. Finally, it replayed on my Replay OK.. but started skipping after 15 mins. and froze my Replay. Might just be one bad file.

I've been unable to extract program descriptions, which isn't so bad since I can just view the clip. But I would like to be able to get my shows back in date order, at least. Is the naming convention signifigant, do you know? ie: does it have anything to do with the relative time that a show was created?

I'm going on vacation starting today, so I won't be able to finish playing with it for a week.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.