Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Saw the Philips 963SA at 1080i on a friend's Sony G70 CRT projector on a 100" screen.

The G70 read the input signal at 33.75KHz horizontal and 60Hz vertical. The frequency is the same as 1080i. But the scanline effect is only slightly better than 480p. A true 1080i should give a very smooth picture with min. scanline effect. It can be conclude that the 963SA is actually outputting 540p.

We tried NTSC 24fps, NTSC 30fps, NTSC 60i and PAL 25fps sources. The 963SA upconvert all these to 540p (1080i timing) 60Hz.

Under this 1080i operation mode, it's clear from the picture that ONLY film mode deinterlace is enabled. That means for NTSC source, the 963SA is in forced 3/2 pulldown mode. Any NTSC 30fps and 60i video source are NOT properly deinterlaced. The 963SA NEVER switch to video deinterlace mode and DCDi NEVER apply.

In short, this 1080i firmware ONLY works with NTSC 24fps and PAL 25fps source. Good for those only watch these 2 type of film source content.

When it works, the PQ does look very nice.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Li On.

Since picture is upconverted to 1080i there should not be any deinterlacing. I have the same hack on my and see some combing but I think it is due to hacked firmware.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What about the vertical scroll judder? That and the crackly non-upsampled CD playback made me go back to the standard firmware.

And also, on my 1272QM, there was no visible improvement from the seating position.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I can understand most people don't care video, film, 24fps, 30fps, 60i, film mode detection, deinterlace drop-out recovery, or whatever! They just want a GREAT looking picture no matter what...

I'd just say it's normal to have all kinds of weird artifacts as the 963SA in 1080i mode is in forced film mode deinterlace. That's why some people LOVE it, others HATE it.

IMO I can't use it because forced 3/2 film mode in NTSC and 2/2 film mode in PAL are NOT enough for my need.

Besides, I want more than 540p!

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is there a Hack for 720P? I would be intersted in getting this player if there is, and its sucessful.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Regards

Luke

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anyone?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.