AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally was able to see a dlp projector this aftrnoon although I think it was a very poor/entry level one.

I saw the Optoma 730 and I have no idea what its colour wheel speed is but I saw rainbows all over the place. I went in wondering if I could see them and if so, how annoying it'd be and boy, I sure did see them and it made the pj unwatchable. The dvd being played was The Mummy and I saw a rainbow effect every 30 seconds or so. Sickening. If that wasn't enough, the pj had so many motion artifacts that I felt like throwing up.

I realize not all dlp will look like that and I saw probably "crap dlp" but damn, at this store it cost more than the Panasonic ae100 which I have seen and can say without question looks far superior, screendoor and all.

I hope to get see a higher quality/more "new" dlp sometime in the near future and see if I can see the rainbows.

Does anyone know what the colour wheel speed is on the Optoma 730? Is it the same for the Optoma 735?

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
56 Posts
rlindo:

My heart goes out to you. I have just begun the process of seeing projectors for myself, and five minutes with the Sharp 9000 proved to me that DLPs are not in my future. Mild rainbows, but it was the motion-blur artifacts that literally made me nauseous. The Sharp is supposedly as good as DLP gets right now, so any DLP might trigger the nausea and headaches.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The only DLP i have seen is the Marantz, and it kicked butt. Pretty expensive though.

---neog

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have had a number of projectors in my home, including the following DLP models: Infocus LP350, NEC LT-150, the Optoma 755, and the Plus Piano. I have spent at least a day, sometimes several weeks, with each one, and have never seen a rainbow. Yet I have never been able to get through a single movie on a DLP without either getting a headache or seeing the image--especially in the fine details--start to do a kind of electronic "swarm"--as though I could see each individual DLP mirror opening and closing. With DLP's, I can't keep my mind on the movie--there is an electronic presence always.

I have also seen these LCD models: Sanyo XP21N, the Sanyo PLV-60, the Mitsubishi X80u, and the Panasonic 711Xu--all of which produce stable, colorful images, easy on the eyes for hours on end, with insignificant screen door, at least to my 20/15 vision, at less than two screen widths' viewing distance.

Mike

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope to see the Sharp 9000 sometime int he enar future to see if it was jst the pj that was horrible with respect to the rainbows or if I am that sensitive. But no joke, I saw them everytime my eyes moved. It was bad. At first I didn't know what I was seeing but then I realized it was the rainbows. Horrible.

Screendoor doesn't even come close to being as big a problem as the rainbows for me. Maybe that is because my eyes aren't the greatest (still not too bad) so screendoor goes "away" closer than it might for someone with perfect vision but no matter how good my eyes may or may not be, rainbows will always be there since they're colour based and quite large.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.