AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into my local Tweeter to see if they had the Phillips LCoS on the floor yet. They had the Phillips LCoS, Panasonic LCD, Samsung DLP, Sony GWII, and Sony GWIII all set up. A few reactions:

- The Phillips had a very detailed picture, but the contrast as very poor. Perhaps it was not adjusted correctly.

- My salesman knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the "purple problem." He insisted the set I was viewing had the problem. But I must admit I couldn't see it. His enthusiasm for the set was 180 degrees different from when we talked last month (he was very up beat on the Phillips before it arrived)

- I could see rainbows in the Phillips.

- The Panny occasionally showed the sort of pattern I might associate with an image with too much detail or fast motion. But it showed it on a close up of someone's face. Not good.

- Sammy looked good, but a bit red (as with the one I had). Rainbows, of course.

- GWII was very dim. The picture was up full, so I don't know why. I know from my GWII at home that it is brighter than that.

- The GWIII looked the best to my eye under those conditions. Had I been comparing to buy, I'm sure the better/stronger anti-glare screen would have been attractive to me.

If I was buying today, if I wasn't sensitive to it, I would have bought the Sammy. But as I am, I would have gotten the GWIII, no doubt. It may have been the way the LCoS was configured, but the Phillips was not very impressive.

Oh, I discovered they were selling the GWII for less than I paid for it a month ago -- thanks to their 60 day price match, a little free money back from Tweeter! My curiosity paid off today.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Robbin,

I can tell you from my experience viewing a pre and post fix Phillips, the defects people have been complaining about relate to the contrast displayed by the unit. While some describe as a purple push, I would characterize the pre-fix set that I saw as just being very, very muted, almost having an "anti-WOW" factor, with very bad contrast. My post-fix viewing of the same set was basically the exact opposite, with great contrast.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by umr
Did you go to the Kirby store? The Philips set there looked pretty horrible.
I'm on the other side of town. My closest Tweeter is I-45 South at Bay Brook Mall.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by magillagorilla
While some describe as a purple push, I would characterize the pre-fix set that I saw as just being very, very muted, almost having an "anti-WOW" factor, with very bad contrast.
This sums the Phillips up exactly. Without doubt the most muted colors in the store.

I thought the best picture in the store was the Mit Diamond series. I generally find CRT RP to be less crisp than the newer techologies. But this one was impressive to see. Of course it's bigger than an up-right piano.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Howdy Robbin! I am a southside houston resident also. I to stopped into the tweeter over by baybrook 2 days ago. I was equally disapointed with the philips. The panasonic looked washed out also. I agree that the new sony lcd look the best, especially on HD material. However, on dvd media the new sony did not perform as well as I would have liked it to. Being that stores can have quite the tangled web of interconnects behind the scenes (signal loss, degredation, etc), I had one of the guys hook up a dvd player directly to it and demoed several dvd's. The salesman agreed that the dvd performance of this set wasn't up to snuff either.

I've been to three tweeter's in Houston, including the Kirby one, and the philips was equally disapointing at all three of the stores.

I am eagerly awaiting the release of the new sony grand wega's. They weigh in at around 100lbs more than the largest new non-xbr model.

Eric.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.