AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... at Good Guys, in Sane Jose, Calif. It's not available until next month, at a price of $3499. It appeared to me to be in a cabinet almost identical to the mock up at CES.

It is HUGE. Very deep and very wide. Too huge in my opinion.

The picture looked great with the HD demo loop they had. Very Wega. I have no idea if the DRC is any better on NTSC (that's always been a serious deal breaker for me on all the HD-ready Wegas).

Anyway, it exists. It's the first 40" CRT with HD capability and almost certainly the last. I am expecting we'll see plasma at this price next year and, although the Wega will get cheaper, it is clearly an interim product.

Mark

·
Registered
497 Posts
Got an invitation to see the 40" WEGA in the mail today. It's got CineMotion reverse 3-2 pull down, Hi-Scan1080i technology, SRS 3D audio effect technology, etc., etc. etc.

Oh, one other thing, "Limited compatibility with future digital connections." It say so right on the invitation! Hot damn......let me spend my $3500 on an outdated 4:3 HDTV.

Al Keown

Phoenix

[This message has been edited by Al K (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not even sure it is quite 36" diagonally. One of the resident math whizzes could probably tell us precisely what the letterbox's diagonal really is.

Incidentally, two local stores had the new 16:9 set (the HD2 I guess it's called). Both had it set up so badly and fed such crappy source that I could not tell you at all if it was a good unit. The picture display was a D- or so, but I'm not even suggesting it's the set's fault.

Mark

·
Registered
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo:
I'm not even sure it is quite 36" diagonally. One of the resident math whizzes could probably tell us precisely what the letterbox's diagonal really is.
36.72" to be more exact. Here's the simple formula (it's a manipulation of the numbers 4, 3, 16, and 9). Take the 4:3 set's diagonal measurement, and multiply it by:

[4/((4**2 + 3**2)**(1/2))] x [((16**2 + 9**2)**(1/2))/16]

to get the letterboxed 16:9 equivalent diagonal.

This factor works out to be: 0.918

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Gerald.

Mark "Ex Math Whiz" Rogo

·
Registered
116 Posts
But will a plasma set be as sharp when watching DVD or HDTV at a distance of ten feet in a medium sized room?

I prefer direct view tubes/CRTs to rear projections, because the latter is too fuzzy if viewed at ten feet or less. That is the great advantage of a tube/CRT. The 36" Sony WEGA looks great with HDTV.

Also, can you watch plasma in a room with the lights on, as you can with a CRT/tube?

Finally, would a plasma have the same dimensions for the vast majority of TV viewing -- in 4:3 mode?

I'm actually thinking about BUYING the 40", and would welcome your advice and input on the above questions!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

I am always happy when a company like Sony makes something as outwardly uneconomical as this 40 incher. They are pretty bright people so I asume that there is some value to producing the thing. It sure can't be in selling many of these behemothes. It is always interesting to see or even read of something so extreme as the last, most extravagant gasp of a dying breed. Art

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, a plasma is as sharp when watching DVD or HD at 10 feet. At 6-8 feet, the HD might look better on the tube, but not at 10. As for DVD, it is stunning on the plasma, which can reproduce it at full resolution.

The new plasmas are superbright (Panasonic, in particular). They are fabulous with the lights on. Fabulous!

A 42" widescreen plasma would not be 40" diagonal in 4:3 mode, more like 34-36ish. They could start making more 4:3 plasmas, but instead I expect that programming will migrate to 16:9 over time (all HD already is, of course, as are 99% of DVDs).

I'm gonna get the plasma for today and for tomorrow.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.