AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw the P50 last night here in Fort Wayne at a dealer. WOW!! They had a Hughes E86 hooked to it. I now have two Toshiba CW34X92 direct view sets. I used to have the Hughes E86 and the upconverted to 1080i SD material looked horrible on my sets. That's why I got two new Zenith 520's STB's. They upconvert SD material great. But the upconverted SD material on the Hughes looked as good on the P50 as the picture I get with the Zenith 520. HD Net (a MLS game) was wonderful. I have some questions for you P50 owners and forgive me if these have been covered in other posts.

1. Does anyone have a P50 hooked to a Zenith 520 & how does the upconverted SD material look?

2. I have a Toshiba SD-9200 DVD player. In the owners manual they put a sheet that said the 9200 might cause some artifacts from the componet output on some sets. It then listed the sets tested OK and mine was one. This DVD player gives as good a picture as I've seen and I would like to keep it if I decide to get a P50. Any one using this player with the P50?

3. I plan to use the table stand if I go with the P50. Any issues?

4. I played with the universal remote they had and did not see any iR interference. I AV receiver set directly below the P50. Any issues here?

5. Both of my Toshiba sets have been ISF'ed. How necessary is it to have the P50 done or is using Avia or VE enough?

6. Any DVI issues with the P50, especially for those using the Zenith 520?

Thanks for any input you can give.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
It might be a bit hard to get compatability questions answered for your DVD player. (too many possible combinations)

You might take your DVD player to the store and try it out there. That would also give you a chance to compare it to other DVD players with the P50.

·
Registered
701 Posts
i'm afraid i have neither the zenith STB nor the toshiba dvd player, but i can help you with these questions:

3. i have a loaner table-stand (current model) for my P50 until the newly-designed ones hit the shelves (allegedly this month); aside form the ridiculous price, the stand's really good - solid. i assume that won't change with the next iteration...

4. my receiver is about 5 inches to the left of my panel, and there haven't been any problems at all, IR orotherwise.

5. last i heard, no one knew the codes for the P50, so the service menus were inaccessible, and calibration was limited to the user-configurable R/G/B settings. however, at this point, some enterprising individual may well have discovered the codes...i don't know.

the set looks spectacular with just the tweaking i have done myself, though, so i certainly don't believe not being able to ISF the display is a liability. at all.

hope this helps.

- jd

·
23,031 Posts
Sirluckyj: Go buy it!

I have a P50 with table stand connected to 520 via DVI. Although

that will change tonight when I hook up my Bravo D1 via DVI. 520

will switch to component.

1) SD is not as good as DVD or HDTV :) SD via the 520 depends

on channel you are watching. Some are good, some not so good.

You have to make the call. It's perfectly acceptable to me.

2) I don't use that DVD player.

3) Works fine. I think the part # is P50-TT01-SA or something like that.

It's not the glass base stand.

4) I have not had any IR interference issues with my universal remote.

5) ISF is up to you. Plasmas dont require all the adjustments that

CRTs do, but you won't know how accurate the greyscale and color

temp on your P50 is until you get it calibrated/measured. Some people

have done it, others are completely satisified without it. I'll probably

have mine calibrated after the first year.

6) DVI has worked fine connected to the 520. However, I don't believe I've

watched any HDCP protected material yet.

larry

·
Registered
50 Posts

Originally posted by Sirluckyj

1. Does anyone have a P50 hooked to a Zenith 520 & how does the upconverted SD material look?

It looks good but certainly not as good as watching on a CRT. That Fuji is putting out a big 50 inch picture and compressed SAT signals look like just that--compressed SAT signals! Digital OTA SD is very good. The 520 is much better than my old Sony DTV box on SD.

3. I plan to use the table stand if I go with the P50. Any issues?

I switched to the newer modified stand Fuji put out, and it has been rock solid.

4. I played with the universal remote they had and did not see any iR interference. I AV receiver set directly below the P50. Any issues here?

I'm using the Marantz 5200 programmable remote and have had no issues.

6. Any DVI issues with the P50, especially for those using the Zenith 520?

No issues. I was running only component cables for two months, then switched to DVI. Family members who are not AV freaks didn't know about the switch, but started commenting that colors look more saturated.

In general, the combination of the Fuji and the 520 is jaw dropping on HD material. I can't speak about your Toshiba DVD player, but DVD material out of my new Marantz player (8300) is superb.

Good luck with your choice!

Dan

·
Registered
41 Posts
There has been so much hype surrounding the DVI connector - I thought it was impossible to display a full-resolution picture on the P50 using DVI, rendering it almost completely useless, except for certain PC graphics applications...

How did you manage to "switch to DVI"?

Or maybe I should do a search on the Zenith 520 and read more about it...

·
Registered
360 Posts
jag120,

Any way to tell the old table top stand from the new one.

Mine is silver gray (part#P50-50TT01-SA), all metal and has two metal standards that attach to the base and then attach to the back of the plasma display. There is also an adhesive back cover that fits over the front of the base so you can hid the screw heads if you decided to attach the stand to the table top.

I think that it is the older style desk top stand. However, I just don't see how this one could have been judged unstable or not up to the task. There doesn't look like there is a place where it could go wrong.

Does your stand carry a different part number? Anything different that you can see from the description?

·
23,031 Posts
jnug,

Somebody started a thread a while back that indicated a supposed

Fujitsu recall of the table top stand for the P50. Somebody was

told by a dealer that the "glass based" stand was being recalled. Turns out

that the stand in question was *not* for P50s, it was for 42" and

it was not being recalled. Maybe this is the stand he is talking about.

You and I have the same stand which

I believe is the only one from Fujitsu for use with the P50.

John Hsu,

I think you are refering to the thread(s) about being able to send

a 1366x768 image via DVI from a HTPC. The DVI on the P50 will

happily take 480P, 720P, and 1080i signals over DVI. I am not quite

sure what resolution is used for 720P or 1080i. I believe 720P

is 1280 x 720. I'm sure someone here will tell us.

larry

·
Registered
360 Posts
jag120,

Mine is silver gray (part#P50-50TT01-SA), all metal and has two metal standards that attach to the base and then attach to the back of the plasma display. There is also an adhesive back cover that fits over the front of the base so you can hid the screw heads if you decided to attach the stand to the table top.

I think that it is the older style desk top stand. However, I just don't see how this one could have been judged unstable or not up to the task. There doesn't look like there is a place where it could go wrong.

Does your stand carry a different part number? Anything different that you can see from the description?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Hsu
There has been so much hype surrounding the DVI connector - I thought it was impossible to display a full-resolution picture on the P50 using DVI, rendering it almost completely useless, except for certain PC graphics applications...

How did you manage to "switch to DVI"?

Or maybe I should do a search on the Zenith 520 and read more about it...

John,

The problems with the DVI connection on the P50 pertains to getting it to display native rate when hooked up to an HTPC (1366x768 or 1360x768).

There are no issues whatsoever in terms of hooking up a DVI/HDCP compliant high defintion receiver (SAT520, HD200, Samsung's model, etc.) to a P50. It works exactly as advertised, delivering the high definition 720p or 1080i signal to the P50 which then scales and displays it at its 768p native resolution.

Glen

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jnug
jag120,

jnug-

If I remember correctly, when the P50 was first released, Fujitsu was going to use the stand from the 5004. There were postings on this forum warning about the holes lining up properly which could cause an instability issue. Since mine was an early P50 it was delivered with the old stand, and then in about 4 weeks the dealer arrived with the "revised" stand and installed it. I never kept track of the number of the original. I only bring it up just to give you a heads up and make sure your dealer provides the newer version. I don't think I have the box or paperwork anymore. Sorry.

Regarding DVI, it works, and works well.

Dan

·
Registered
96 Posts
jnug-

My dealer could not get the Fujitsu stand when I ordered, and I'm glad he couldn't. I ended up with the Peerless tilt/swivel desktop stand and love it. Really helps reduce reflections from lights and to get straight-on viewing from different parts of the room.

No problems with IR interference.

I've been happy using Avia and eyeballs to adjust the settings. I found myself re-adjusting after a week or two (don't know if it is my eyes or my panel that were breaking in). I've also saved different adjustment settings for different sources. If you are a tweaker, you'll spend more time the first week looking at the adjustment menu than programs.

Can't speak to your other issues.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GlenH
John,

The problems with the DVI connection on the P50 pertains to getting it to display native rate when hooked up to an HTPC (1366x768 or 1360x768).

There are no issues whatsoever in terms of hooking up a DVI/HDCP compliant high defintion receiver (SAT520, HD200, Samsung's model, etc.) to a P50. It works exactly as advertised, delivering the high definition 720p or 1080i signal to the P50 which then scales and displays it at its 768p native resolution.

Glen
Thanks for the clarification, Glen. Not having access to any DVI/HDCP sources in Hong Kong (where I live), none of the dozen or so dealers which I've visited have been able to demonstrate the P50's ability to accept (or playback) signals via DVI.

The P50 was #1 on my list of plasma candidates, and your answer gives me the confidence to go ahead with my purchase order.

In the meantime, I need to wait patiently for a next-generation DVD player or D-VHS player which has DVI/HDCP compliant output capability.

I was really excited about buying a Philips 963SA player for my P50, but I guess I'll have to wait!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.