AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much better black levels than the previous Samsung. Darker Bezel, same remote, essentially the same menus. Supposed to have DNIe but no control I could find for it in the menus. Picture was much better, but for the money $3999 the Panny or the Pioneer are better.

Starting at $3999 including a Stand, if the discounters start to get it down below $3500 it gets more interesting.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I want to see the Xmas special on this for $2799 at Best Buy. Then we are talking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best Buy had the 10% off coupon that expired end of March, it would be perfect for a plasma. I am hoping Costco starts to sell the new Samsung. It really does make the Akai they are selling now look sad in comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
I want to see the Xmas special on this for $2799 at Best Buy. Then we are talking.
i`d buy one now if they were that price.saw it today at BB,it looked every bit as good as the panny ED`s i`ve seen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For those who have seen it, do you think it's black levels compare to the Panny ED 42"? And what about contrast and brightness? I have seen it advertised on-line for about $3500 with no tax or shipping.

It seems to have all of the features the new Pannys will (except for the speakers), but it;s here now. And at a cheaper price point that Pannys will be? (I'm skeptical that Panny will be discounted 20-30% shortly after it;s introduced). So I'm tempted to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I saw the new Samsung at Best Buy yesterday and was very impressed. In my opinion brightness and black levels looked very good. The Panny's blacks are deeper but not by much. Garyzab, I didn't notice the Sammy on Tweeter's website. Did you see it in the store? Also, Best Buy is selling the unit for $3,999 and you mentioned Tweeter's price was $3299. Don't know about everyone else but that just doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Tweeter, at that price? I agree- I doubt it's the same unit. The lowest price I've seen on the net so far is about $3500 with free shipping.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Am I missing something here? This thing just came out this month and it can already be had online for 3200.00 with two components, dvi, rgb, built in tuner etc? This thing retails for 5000.00 and is down 1800.00 in the first month of release?

-Chris

·
Super Moderator
21,528 Posts
please remember forum rules-

OK to mention MSRP only

Thanks

Mark:)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sorry Mark, I thought it was cool to mention prices as long as no names or links are given? Is this correct?

Either way I hope we're in for the same trend when the samsung HD comes out and I hope its a worthy contender to the panny.

-Chris

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just went to Tweeter and it is the new model for the price indicated above. A DVD was playing and it looked slightly better than the Panasonic. I am mostly interested in standard cable and high definition feeds. Any observations on those two feeds would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I couldn't find the DNIe setup in the menus for the new Sammy. It was easy to find on the HLM 5065 DLP set, but when i went searching for it on the plasma there was no setting for it.

Since you can turn it on and off on the DLP set, I assumed as much for the plasma, but no go.

If anyone gets a chance see if you can find the DNIe settings on it, I am curious if it is something that can be turned on and off. For any of you in the Bay Area, SF, that want to see it, they have it at the Redwood City best buy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pardon me, but could someone let me know what DNIe is? Forgive me if this is a bad question.

·
Registered
797 Posts
> Pardon me, but could someone let me know what DNIe is?

From the URL in Post #6 above:

DNIeâ„¢ Digital Natural Image engine)

- Detail Enhancement

- Contrast Enhancement

- Noise Reduction

- White Balance Enhancement

·
Registered
107 Posts
Does anyone know if the new model has a screen saver option to rotate the screen to avoid burn-in. When I was at Tweeter I couldn't find it in the menu. Also, is a screen saver feature pretty much a standard for plasmas?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Just checked it out myself. The picture quality is VASTLY improved from their previous generation 42" plasma. It seems like night and day. When the price comes down, I think this will be my next plasma display.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.