AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited the Sony Showroom in Manhattan last week and got a demo of the Sony Qualia. While it was a great picture, I was not blown away. I'm not a videophile, but I am discerning. I would say that the picture was only about 10 or 15 percent better than my 260K. I thought there would be a lot more detail. But it wasn't really noticeable. The picture is brighter, and the colors have a little more pop. They showed a HD clip of Laurence of Arabia, and it looked spectacular. When I got home, I popped in my Disc into my Zenith 318 upconverting dvd player and found the same scene. Without them being side by side, I thought my picture was pretty close, and that's with over 2000 hours on my bulb. I am constantly amazed at the picture this thing puts out.

I'm so glad I went to see the Qualia. I've had the upgrade bug, and now it's all but gone. 15 percent better for 15 times the cost, not exactly worth it, In my opinion. I can wait a few years until NEC makes a 1080p projector for less than 4k. I ordered a new bulb for my projector, and am now just going to enjoy it knowing it can't be much better.

Jason

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
naturally you are comparing the qualia in a showroom demo to your tweaked pj in your HT...and you are going by memory rather than side by side.

I by no means and disputing the difference as I have never seen either pj but I do know you can't make valid comparos unless you see the PJs side by side.

When I upgraded to the Epson 500 from my Sanyo Z2 I thought the Epson didn't seem all that much better. I figured it was a slight 15-25% gain and I was going by what I remembered of the Z2. Not until I hooked up the sanyo an did a side by side comapro (before I got rid of the z2) did I see the difference was way more than 15-25%.

Moral of the story? Our memories sure can distort things.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Rob, good point.

But if you REALLY can't tell the difference unless they are side by side why upgrade? It's not like you will always have the other projector setup to compare to. I've also had similar experiences to Jason. Unless I can see an obvious improvement when going from one scene on a projector and then checking out the same scene when I get home... why should I make the switch?

Going just from memory I can clearly see that some HD RPTV's are better than the one that I own now (without a side by side comparison), until I can see that with a projector I'm not changing a thing.

PS - The Yankees/Red Sox game looked amazing in HD last night! I've yet to see any setup in a store blow mine away and I'm quite content with that. ;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Isn't your pj 1024x768 resolution? Which would make it 1024x576 for HD material? You really didn't notice a difference in resolution between 1920x1080 and 1024x576? Really?

Only 10-15% better? Really?

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
He wasnt watching Laurence of Arabia in a stadium playing football.

Surely if you watched a 1080 HDTV broadcast of football on that Qualia, you'll definitely see where the Qualia shines over the 260.

This I am sure of..not even by memory since I havent seen neither but from what I gathered with my 1024x768 LCD and my measely X1 experiences and the raping of Comcast. And, I'm not calling you Shirley.

Only 10-15% better? Really?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I saw the 004 at Sony in Manhattan in August, and only saw the LoA clip. I had the sense that the source material was the limiting factor.

If you did side by side comparisons of the 004 against lesser projectors, I'm sure the 004 would win. But how do you quantify the difference? Much harder than comparing the prices. But clearly, the performance ratio is much less than the price ratio.

I have the Infocus X1, and came away with no desire to upgrade. I tend think in terms of "how much will this enhance my enjoyment of the movie?" From that viewpoint, I'm not terribly surprised by Jason's 10 to 15 percent. I'm waiting for better source material before upgrading my projector.

·
Registered
230 Posts
10 to 15%? you either have: a) one truly amazing NEC or b) bad eyesight. everyone has their own opinions and i'm not saying you're wrong, but the 10-15% figure is very surprising to say the least. i own a vplhs10, my brother has an hs20, both of which i am intimately familiar with. i have seen the qualia set up at 4 trade shows in the past year or so. in my mind, it is an earthshattering difference from the 2 pj's i'm used to seeing. i wouldn't even quantify it with a percentage because i feel they are in two totally different leagues. maybe the setup in NYC is not a very good one, that would explain some of the discrepency. if you had posted this in the over $3500 forum, i'd be curious to see what they think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I saw an ISF-tuned Qualia connected to a Blu-Ray player at Sony's Columbia studios in Hollywood projecting onto a 200" screen.

This thing is nothing short of stunning. You could see very definite improvement between DVD and Blu-Ray. Where DVD was fuzzy, Blu-Ray was sharp as a razor in the finest detail. The Qualia spread out a spectacular, beautifully resolved picture easily besting every projector I have seen, and on a 200" screen no less! By the end of the demo that projector had a roomful of HT enthusiasts absolutely drooling.

I wager you haven't begun to see what the Qualia is capable of.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jason,

That is a core issue about HDTV that is often overlooked. How big an image do you need. It could look much better at 200'' while only doing slightly better at 109''. On a 31'' screen sdtv is acceptable to me, on 100'' it is painful.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I'm sure that the Qualia is amazing (I haven't seen one myself) but is it really worth it for the price? Don't the bulbs cost as much as our PJ's? :)

I think all that Jason is saying is that he didn't feel it was worth the extra money. It would have to blow away a FP CRT G90 to be worth that kind of cash. ;)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Source material is certainly an issue, but I agree strongly with the assertion that if you have to display the projectors side by side to appreciate the difference easily, then keep the money in your pockets.

Some people have money to burn, but upgrade fever is too often a big waste of money. I kept my 1st generation XGA DLP unit for 4 years and would still be using it if I hadn't sold my home. I've ordered an HS51 and will probably keep it at least that long. Watching it was always a pleasure, and although I knew there were better units out there, I never was disappointed in watching a movie, so why waste/spend more money?

Cheers.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It would have to blow away a FP CRT G90 to be worth that kind of cash. ;)

i think several people in the other forum have commented that it does best a g90 in many regards (certainly doesn't blow it away though!). and since the g90 was priced similarly, but required expensive maintenance (and a good scaler to boot), why would the qualia have to "blow it away" to be worth the $30k? the first two bulbs are included and anyone buying this pj should appreciate the difference of a xenon bulb vs. uhp. i could never afford this beast on my meager income, but if i hit the lotto tommorrow it would be my second purchase (after the ferarri). and i bet the dollar to performance ratio is about 10,000 times better on the qualia vs. the ferrari! all i'm saying is that this is a breakthrough product at a very reasonable price (considering what's available).

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Fidelity, maybe you should try posting that in the CRT forum and see what kind of response you get. :)

The fact that there will be something to come along and best the Qualia within the year tells me that you'll get more dollar to performance ratio with the Ferrari.

PS- I think it's clear that the G90 kills it in absolute black level, that alone keeps the Qualia from coming anywhere close to besting it IMHO. Don't even mention the bulb price...

·
Registered
860 Posts
You don't have to go to the crt forum--those with actual g90's have posted that for certain material the qualia is better. Clearly if you want a larger screen the g90 isn't even an option. The g90 beats it in absolute black level for sure but is weaker in other areas such as brightness uniformity.

I think the problem many of us have with the original post is the fact he stated that the picture was only 10-15% better than his 260k. By most any possible parameter this is absurd. Now if the argument is one of value, then thats dependent on each individual and not what was first stated.

That the qualia is better in most every category pq wise by greater than 10-15% but the sum of all those equals only 10-15% overall is just wrong...

How bout post this in the crt forum--'I saw a g90 set-up today and the picture was only 10-15% better than my 260K'--and see the reaction...

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Jaimie, maybe you should read this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1 and get back to me.

Aside from the % value that Jason posted I know exactly how he feels. It's just not worth the $$$$ to upgrade to something like that. I've seen a well setup CRT (and owned one) so I think I'm safe in saying this.

I'm happy with what I have for the time being, I think that Jason is as well. Nothing more.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I read the thread--now what?

Like I stated--I have no issue with anyone making a value judgement as to a pj being worth the upgrade price. The initial statement in this thread was not a value judgement but a comparison of the pq between two pjs. I am just stating there is no way the qualia is only 10-15% better pq than a 260k.

I do believe he is happy with his pj and isn't looking to upgrade but please don't lead people to believe he is only giving up 10-15% pq while not upgrading to a qualia...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Perhaps I should have said The "perceived" quality was only 10 to 15% better. But why should I have to? How do you objectively quantify quality? All I know is that I was sitting there watching the demo and it made me happier with my NEC. I'm sure that if I put them side by side, there would be a huge difference. Just yesterday I bought a plasma for the bedroom. It's only ED but going from one room to the next comparing with the same Hd content showing on the projector and the plasma, I was very disappointed with the projector. I'm a little less happy with my Projector than I was yesterday.

The moral of the story? Don't do side by side comparisons with your AV equipment.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Jason, don't feel bad. Maybe you should make your image as small as the plasma and compare again. ;)

Seriously though... it's all about being happy with what you have.

There will ALWAYS be something better around the corner. (Especially at 10x the cost.)

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Perhaps that plasma vs pj comparison is a job for the Qualia..but then I would buy a car first. At least that gets me somewhere. I think its fair to say any direct view will be better than a reflected view....until Sony Black comes out..I heard the tech eats plasmas.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The fact that there will be something to come along and best the Qualia within the year tells me that you'll get more dollar to performance ratio with the Ferrari.

maybe you know somethng i don't... what exactly is coming along within the year that will best the 004 (it's been out about a year now and the only thing to rival it is the jvc, which still doesn't come close in many regards)? certainly not the jvc dila or fujitsu lcd pieces, IMHO. i think if a new qualia is released with a dynamic iris (ala the HS51), that would satisfy most people's VERY small gripes. i'm not trying to say the 004 is the end all, be all (certainly other pj's will eventually beat it out)... what i am saying is that MOST people that have seen it would laugh at the 10-15% figure and that this pj (while it is still VERY expensive) represents a tremendous value. i forget who, but someone in the over 3500 forum took one apart and said that this is basically a $80k pj for a $30k price. i go back again to the g90 analogy... several g90 owners admit the qualia is better in many regards (not all) at about the same price... then you add the calibration/installation issues of crt coupled with the expense of buying a uber-expensive scaler (talk about dollar to performance ratio), which pj do you think more people would like to buy? sony stopped making g90s for a reason.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.