AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was up at the Sundance Film Festival today. At the digital center, several vendors were present including LG, Microsoft (pushing HD WMV), Panaflex, and notably, Sony. They were showing all of their professional cameras and so on. One of their reps told my daughter and I that there was a "demo" taking place in a few minutes for a high end home theater projector. Had to see that!

They had set up a fairly small theater with about 10 plush Berklines, the rear row of which were on a riser, no less. Total light control and very good sound, although it was only 3.1. They were using a Stewart StudioTek 130 screen.

The Qualia 004 was the beast they were showing. It projects in true HD (1920 x 1080). It was a good sized PJ, weighing in at 88 lbs. Roughly 18" square and about 8" tall. Very sleek, sophisticated case out of aluminum with an exposed heatsink surrounding the bulb and a curved ribbed aluminum heatsink that ran the full width on the back edge.

I am sure that this is not the first mention of this PJ, but the rep said it runs on SXRD panels illuminated by pure xenon light. It made hardly any noise.

They ran three distinctly different demo clips, short films actually. Each was under 4 minutes. Sony had given directors HD creation hardware - cameras, editing euipment in exchange for these short films. An animated film with stunning colors, an austerely shot almost sepia toned film from Australia, and a indoor piece that looked normal.

The images were flawless. The colors were extremely rich. The animated short looked 3D. The Australian short was so crisp, it almost hurt your eyes! The third short was in the mix to show more natural colors. It didn't disappoint. No SDE was visible.

They told us the PJ was going to be on the market in about 30 days. MSRP was going to "about" 30K, including one extra bulb and your choice of short, medium, or long throw Carl Zeiss lenses. He quoted 2,000 hours of bulb life. Wonder how much a pure Xenon bulb will run?

Distribution is going to be limited. A few specialty retailers, a small network of custom installers. This isn't going to be a mass item, obviously. I asked if the SXRD technology was going to trickle down to PJ's that were more affordable, and the response was vague, but with hints that there probably would be something down the road.

It was very interesting.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
How was black level?

Did they show any clips that were dark, or that were leterboxed?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Chris,

The rumor I heard at CES was that if you wanted one of these your Sony dealer would put you in contact with Sony directly and you would purchase the projector direct from Sony, not a dealer. The dealer would then get some kind of kickback for the referral.

Sounds like they are tightly controlling the distribution of these projectors. Makes you wonder, why this strategy??

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by George_Stenbeck
How long will it take JVC to get one? I bet they get one of the first units sold.
Honestly, I don't think they need one. Sony got the technology from JVC.

JVC could sure learn from Sony's marketing though :)

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Free
Honestly, I don't think they need one. Sony got the technology from JVC.
Umm, I think that was kind of George's point.
Quote:
JVC could sure learn from Sony's marketing though
C'mon Phil, at this juncture, it would appear that JVC could probably learn marketing from a college freshman.

Palladin

No matter where you go, there you are

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I think Sony learned their marketing from a drunk. Qualia (translates to : how to buy a 2Mega Pixel camera for 10 x the price that it should cost.)

2 years of iPods and Sony still don't have a real competitor. If anyone coudl have out iPodded apple it was them.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
At 8 cents a kilowatt, a 750w bulb would cost 6 cents an hour to operate.

At $750 for a 2000 hour bulb, the operating cost will be 37.5 cents an hour.

Operating cost for a 2 hour movie would still be less than a buck. I doubt that many people who plunk down 30 grand for the projector are going to worry about operating costs of $1 a movie :)

·
Registered
27,577 Posts
Quote:
Looks like a nice machine but why did they have to use a low efficiency 750 watt bulb? Imagine your electric bill, let alone bulb replacement costs. I bet the bulbs will run $750. each, a dollar a watt.
WHen I was at the Ferrari dealership, I had my check book ready for the $150,000 sports car but had to forego the purchase as I found out the Pirelli tires were going to cost $1200 every 12,000 miles......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
679 Posts
JVC is working on it and it is my understanding that they are demoing a prototype in Europe. Hold out hope and maybe they will introduce something this year. I am hoping to upgrade my G15 and an 80LB. 30K machine (Qualia) is not want i was invisioning. I am hoping that JVC will come through. I have also seen the Marantz 3 chipper and for 37k with lower resolution than LCOS and few apparent advantages over their 1 chip (except operating in high ambient light conditions and removal of the phantom color wheel issue) that doesnt look like the answer. Not to mention you could fit 1 and a half qualias in the Marantz 3 chip box.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
As often as you can... :p

OT Alert :: Within a fortnight of getting my first 'real' sportscar I went on a pure 'drivers holiday' me and another gear head buddy out just to cane it for 5 days non stop... Those italian switchback mountain roads... Such fun.. Did about 5000 miles in the 5 days..

·
Registered
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Christopher Calder
Looks like a nice machine but why did they have to use a low efficiency 750 watt bulb? Imagine your electric bill, let alone bulb replacement costs. I bet the bulbs will run $750. each, a dollar a watt.

CC
I could be wrong but I don't think Sony's intended market for the Qualia is the budget minded shopper. I mean, if you're looking for the highest value in projection, what are you doing looking at one of the most expensive digital home theater projectors in existence?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David777
I could be wrong but I don't think Sony's intended market for the Qualia is the budget minded shopper. I mean, if you're looking for the highest value in projection, what are you doing looking at one of the most expensive digital home theater projectors in existence?
Good Point!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
when you live in the world of obsessions, $30k for an item is not such a big deal.

How many guys have almost no money but have something like a '64-'70 GTO in the garage.. have spent $30-40k rebuilding it and never get to drive it? Is there a difference here? Perspective only, is the real guess. To each their own. :)

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.