AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Hollywood Bowl last night with the kids to see Bugs Bunny on Broadway. They were using two Barco 3 chip DLPS to projector on a something like a 20 feet by 30 feet screen (cant remember exact size the guy told me.) What impressed me was that they were stacked and each projector was rated at 12000 lumens. Have no idea on contrast or resolution and based on where I was sitting not sure if it would matter. In anycase it was a nice bright sharp picture

I thought about getting one for my house, but at 12000, I figured I would need to cover myself in suntan lotion rated SPF 500

For anyone who hasnt seen this show, its really fun, with the LA Philarmonic playing the music while the cartoon was showing. What I didnt know was that in the 40s and 50s when they were making the classic cartoons, the Warner Bros orchestra was the LA Philarmonic. By day, the orchestra was the Warner Bros orchestra and by night it was the LA Philharmonic

Anyone interested in one of these Barcos for there house, let me know.:)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Daniel,

Did you get the chance to see the John Williams concert at the Bowl last month? My wife and I drove in from Las Vegas for the concert and it was fantastic. It was the first time I saw John Williams perform his movie music live.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The guys were a little busy and it wasnt like they had the time to chit chat Art:) I did ask with the source it was, not sure what he was talking about, but it was some betamax something something. I think it was professional source.

Jeff, I didnt get a chance to see the John Williams concert last month, but I think I did see him many years ago at the Bowl either for a tribute to him or something else. I cant recall what it exactly was. I always enjoy going to the bowl, but I always leave with my butt hurting. Since I dont go very often I have never invested in seat cushion. I have always wanted to sit in the boxes and eat there

·
Premium Member
16,978 Posts
Sounds like it was D1.

Daniel you should have switched and popped in a VHS tape when they weren't looking:)

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The projectors might have been

Barco ELM R12 Director

Main Page Features Specs Options

Light Output 12.000 ANSI lumen

Digital MicroMirror Deviceâ„¢ 3 high resolution S-XGA DMDâ„¢'s

Resolution 1280 x 1024 (native)

1600 x 1200 (max)

Brightness uniformity > 90% for the total screen area

Contrast 450 :1

(Full White / Full Black)

Lamp Lifetime (max): 1000 Hrs

Lifetime (typ): 750 Hrs

Lamp Power: 3.0 kW

Compatibility • All current Video sources in

Composite, S-VHS, RGB or

Component or Serial Digital

format

• All currently proposed HDTV,

extended and improved television

standards (1080i, 720p,...)

• Computers and workstations

with a resolution of up to 1600 x

1280 pixels

• Most Macintosh computers

• Two digital input slots to allow

for direct digital interfacing with

current and future digital

standards

Mains Voltage 230 V

Power consumption 3.750 W

Ambient Temperature 40°C (104F) max

Size 1.465 mm x 760 mm x 554 mm

57,7" x 29,9" x 21,8"

Weight 135 kg / 298 lbs

Lenses QLD zoom lenses have been designed for high resolution SXGA projectors.

Compatible with LD lenses, designed for XGA resolution projectors, but with limited shift capabilities.

Seamless Switching Standard

ScenergiX Optional

Lens Shift QLD Lenses

Motorized V shift: up to 100%

Motorized H shift: up to 85%

LD Lenses

Motorized V shift: up to 35%

Motorized H shift: up to 25%

For specific details per lens type: see lens product pages

Sealed DLPâ„¢ core No

Network connection Optional

Fixed Inputs • 2 Multifunctional 5-cable inputs for the connection of RGB analogue signals with standard sync (BNC connectors) or tri-level sync, sync on green or separate sync, Standard Video signals, S-VHS signals

• 2 Multistandard DVI

• SDI input (Serial Digital Input)

Optional Inputs One free digital input slot for optional digital input modules:

• SDI

• HD - SDI

Remote Control • RS232 or RS422 loop-through input (D9-connector) for PC based projector control

• Communication input (D9-connector) for peripherals

• 3 pin male XLR connector for wired remote (standard remote)

• 3 pin female XLR connector for bi-directional communication (rugged remote)

Just a guess of course.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
then this is definitely outclassed by the new gen 3Dmds.

the difference between the DP100 and the older gen is miles miles away.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Daniel you should have switched and popped in a VHS tape when they weren't looking
Alan, thats funny that should mention that, I had on me the video tape of my last family vacation. Didnt think the audience would appreciate that:)

Actually, affter a week with my kids in one hotel room. I was a little looney tune myself

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
I went to the "Chinese Acrobat" show two weeks ago. There they were using two Christie/Digital Projection units. each on it's own screen. Looked great.

In June for two yeras in a row I went to the Disco night. There they have three Christie/Digital Projection units horizontally stacked. I don't know why they need three, two would seen enough. They wern't using them RGB (one projector for each color). I checked that out thinking that may be the idea.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I was also at the Chinese acrobat show. I was struck by how much the screens added to the program. I was at the Beethoven's Ninth show a few days before, which was wonderful, but lacked the video screens. However, with the screens, it made it that much better. One got a much better sense of how the musicians were playing. It was great.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Daniel,

I was at the BB on Broadway show too. The projection looked great. It would have been nice to see some material other than cartoons on that setup. Moulin Rouge, LOTR, 5th Element, maybe some HDTV--Oh wait a minute, that's right, it was a concert! :D My wife and I are both musicians. She was on stage playing viola with the Philharmonic Saturday for Bugs Bunny and I was playing percussion for the Chinese Acrobat show. Glimmie or Scoby-What did they project on the screens for that one?

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mark

Oh, I thought I recognized your wife, was she the one playing the viola?:)

We were actually going to go the Chinese acrobat show for the fireworks but figured the kids would appreciate Bugs with the music more than the Acrobats, fireworks and the music

Mark, do you guys enjoy playing concerts like that where although music is important, it does get upstaged by Bugs or the acrobats. Although I enjoyed the orchestra play the Luney Tune theme, do the musicians enjoy it as a nice change of pace, or do they prefer playing something more challenging

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Moulin Rouge would actually be a killer idea to play there. I cant imagine why the LA Philharmonic cant do the same for Moulin Rouge as they did for Bugs. I am sure the musicians would get a good workout

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.