AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I viewed a new Yamaha DPX-1 for the first time. It is also the first time I saw rainbows since hearing what they were. This is not the first time I have seen a DLP projector, I saw a Runco VX-1 at Epcot at the "Ultimate Home Theater Experience" exhibit. I think my viewing was too short to notice there. This time, with the Yamaha, I was looking for them right away. I beleive the screen was a matte white 1.0 material. The DirectTV HDTV demo loop was playing. I darted my eyes left and right and up and down and saw the rainbow flashes immediately. What I noticed, is that it seems by the time your brain registers that you have seen them, they are gone. It is that fast. I was able to make them appear quite easily on high contrast scenes. At first I thought I might be bidding you all here farewell and be heading over to the CRT forum, but now I'm not so sure. I then sat and relaxed and just watched the image normally, not looking for anything. But I still saw them from time to time. On high contrast images, I saw them quite often. I did spend some time with it, but not much. At this point I am not sure if I can live with it. If at the price point of the DPX-1, definitely no! But at the below $3000 price point which is where I'm at, maybe. I'm not sure. Have any of you been able to live with it and ignore it? I know I will still see them, but I think I can still enjoy the image, which was stunning, by the way. The thing is, this is a new tech improved DLP. I want the LT150. Is this unit worse at rainbows? If so, I don't think I can live with it. I am still waiting to hear from a local AVS forum member to view his LT150 before I decide. I am also looking at the Sony XGA LCD VPL-CX3. I'm just afraid that one will be disappointing in image quality and brightness. Like I said, I think I could live with it at the entry level price point, but how this is considered acceptable technology at above $3000, I just can't understand. I'm sure I would have seen it eventually if never told about it. Sorry for being so wordy, but I am really confused right now and would like some opinions from other DLP owners who DO see rainbows about how they have learned to deal with it if such is possible. Also especially from those who have seen both a DPX-1 and a LT150, since the LT150 is on my hot list.

Just as sidebar, I was there with my cousin as I am helping him put together an ultimate high dollar setup with this projector(he didn't see rainbows), Krell amps and those $30K a pair Krell (LAT-1, I think)speakers and the $30K Kress sub and MC-12 Meridian processor. Boy am I sick of pulling that HUGE monster cable speaker wire!! Two runs to each speaker! CRAZY! Jealous anyone? I know I am. At least I get to play with it.

Shahram

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
When they demoed this projector at CES with Mission Impossible Two my wife and I both saw pervasive and extremely distracting rainbows. Interestingly, when I went to the U571 demo the day before, I saw no rainbows on that video and the contrast and detail was amazing.

Unfortunately, if they are still using the single RGB wheel, rainbow is going to be a serious problem with this otherwise outstanding projector. I'm surprised they didn't take advantage of the many comments on this topic they got at CES and move to the RGBRGB wheel running at double speed.

Remember, most of us use our HT for entertaining so it is not enough that we don't personally see rainbow. We want our audience not to see it either.

Too bad, I had high hopes for this projector.

Dan

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't be so quick to write off this projector. It still had a great image. And I am only one inexperienced viewer. As I have said before on this forum, I am just one of those people that sees everything. Others, I am sure, will really enjoy this projector.

I thought this projector had the higher speed RGBRGB wheel. Is it possible that it does not?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
this post reminds me soooo much of my first post.

the first (and only, until the LT150) DLP i ever saw was the Runco VX1c playing Gladiator. It blew me away! all i had seen up till then was the Vw10ht from sony, and thought it was a novelty. cute, but at $7000, the PQ didn't make me salivate and want to start saving up the way the Runco did.

i left the store that day really depressed, since i knew i could never afford something like that.

This was even though within minutes of sitting down to watch the picture i saw rainbows. the salesguy, of course couldn't see them. i wondered if this quality would make it impossible to live with the projector, since every other aspect of the picture was astounding.

i came to the conclusion that, yes if this was a constant thing throughout every movie, this would just be too annoying to watch.

that's why i never gave the LT150 too much serious thought, even though there were voluminous threads about this pj months ago.

if i hadn't stumbled across the dell deal, even at $2500, i would probably have passed because of the chance of the 'bows.

Bottom line: yes i still see rainbows. But they aren't the constant threat i feared. they only really crop up under certain circumstances, all other times the picture is superb. and when they do pop up, i'm learning to Not Let Them Bother Me and not go looking for them.

you can't always control what happens in life, but you can control your reaction to it. they are a limitation of this technology at this price point ( which is all i can afford). to be honest, the rainbows i've seen have been,( except for a couple of sad cases), very minor qualities of a few specific scenes. And amazingly The LT rainbowed MUCH MUCH LESS than the $17000 runco did playing the same scene in Gladiator.

For all the great things this technology brings to my HT, i can live with the few niggling dissapointments for now.

i believe you can do anything if you really want to, and put forth the effort-this includes learning to live with rainbows.

[This message has been edited by ckolchak (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very good statement!

"you can't always control what happens in life, but you can control your reaction to it"

I think this should be understood by all us perfectionists out there (I'm one). Since the LT150 is the only projector that fits with it's short throw, I'll jump on one when they get close to $2000. Probably when the LT150Z comes out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.