AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
---***~~~ UPDATES ~~~***---
UPDATE- March 10, 2012
This thread is dead! Long live the new thread! Established a thread for the transformation of my little media room into a dedicated theater room which can be seen here: SaxCatz Home Theater

UPDATE- July 23, 2011
Added the Onkyo TX-NR809 and have photos of it, the Oppo BDP-93 & the Pioneer CLD-D701 below. Also updated photos of the screen suspension as its been on a lovely pair of brackets (rather than that ridiculous chain) for over a year now. VIP 3D-Theatre coming soon!

UPDATE- May 14, 2011
No new photos... The "major changes" are detailed below and I have at least updated the terribly out of date equipment listed for now.

UPDATE- Feb 5, 2011
This is terribly outdated at this point. However, my theater room will be going through some major changes soon. At that time, I'll either start a new thread in the dedicated home theater forum or update this thread.

CURRENT APPEARANCE: (July 23, 2011)

Messy... I know. Lots of changes going on.

------------
Original Post:

This is my entertainment room/home theater build.

It may be considered quick and dirty compared to some of the elaborate installations undertaken by other users, but I assure you that it serves it purpose well.

I purchased an Epson 8500UB in December to replace an old Dell XGA DLP projector and decided that the room needed some "upgrades" to make a better all around theater room.

I'm an idiot and I didn't take any "before" picture, so please forgive me.

From flat white walls to a more projector friendly dark brown:

Note that the window to the room is heavily tinted- its high noon in the desert in this photo. In the final build, there are wood blinds and velvet curtains also covering the window and the archway between rooms.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After putting everything back into the room:

Here is the front of the room with the screen up...

At the time featured a Samsung PN63A760 plasma for casual viewing above an entertainment center filled with an Onkyo TX-SR605, Sony BDP-N460, Samsung DVD-HD860 (region free). DishNetwork VIP722 HD DVR, Xbox 360 Elite with HD-DVD accessory, and a Nintendo Wii.

Speakers are 6 channel Sony SS series plus a Velodyne DLS-3750.

(I swear the plasma is hung straight- my tripod developed some issues about this time and became a bit wonky. I dispense with it for the rest of the photos.)

And here is the 120" EliteScreens Matte White 1.1 gain screen lowered-

My next acquisition will likely be a motorized tab-tensioned screen to replace this budget screen.

This is the rear of the room with the rest of the speakers and the Epson PLHC 8500UB visible-

And the left and right rear sides of the room just to show a little bit more of the "atmosphere" if you will-

In the shot above, you can see the rooms one glaring weakness as far as light control is concerned. I am currently weighing options for controlling light through this doorway now that the window & archway are no longer a factor. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And here are the final elements of the room...

The right side, expansion if you will, of the entertainment center with my HTPC and an Onkyo DX-V801 (Pioneer CLD-2080 clone) laserdisc player.

And the left side of the room with shelving for my Blu-Ray & HD-DVD collections as well as video games.

(The middle shelf is currently reserved for future Blu-Ray expansion.
)

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmawatcher25 /forum/post/18246716

Looks great Sax!

Thanks!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking into blackout shades & curtains for the adjoining room as well to minimize light leakage. Unfortunately, I have no good solution for light control over that open doorway. I don't believe that there is enough space to install pocket-doors and floor-length curtains are a "filthy" proposition in a home with pets. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK... a late update as I finished these items over a month ago:

Contructed a channel to lock the projection screen in place when down- this prevent the bottom of the drop-down screen from being affected by air currents in the room.

(It should be noted that the room was pretty dirty when I took this photo as I hadn't done a thorough cleaning since opening up the wall to run the speaker cable for the center-channel speaker as you'll see below.)

The addition of the channel meant that the center speaker was now blocked when the screen was down, so I mounted a shelf and ran a speaker wire in order to place the center-channel speaker directly above the projection screen.

Lastly, I invest in blackout curtains to cover the archway and doorway entering the theater room. As a result, I now have nearly... very nearly... 100% light control at anytime of day.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, this thread is REALLY out of date at this point.

I plan to make a new one as my theater room is planned for some massive changes in the near future- namely, dispensing with the plasma to be replaced by a custom built 131" fixed frame 16:9 screen (its currently about 3/4 of the way done) & framing/drywalling the archway (behind the curtains) & putting a door into the door way for optimal light control. The room is quite well light controlled with the "black-out" curtains now, but I want something that feels a little bit more "permanant" as I transform this from a multi-purpose entertainment room to a dedicated theater from.

For now, I should at least update my equipment list...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Equipment List: (as of May 14, 2011)
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500UB 1080p 3LCD Front Projector
EliteScreens 120" Manual Screen Matte White 1.1 gain

(...soon to be replaced by a 131" custom built matte white fixed frame screen.)
Samsung PN63A760 63" 1080p 63" 1080p Plasma

(...moving to either the bedroom or the front room upon installation of the fixed frame screen.)
Onkyo TX-SR605

(...to be replaced by an Onkyo TX-NR809 this summer.)
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray/Universal Disc Player
DishNetwork VIP722 HD DVR
Monoprice 1x2 PRO series powered HDMI Splitter 1.3b

(...no longer necessary once the new receiver is in place.)
Pioneer CLD-D701 Laserdisc player
JVC HR-S3500U Super VHS VCR
HTPC Built around a dual-core Intel atom processor and NVidia graphics. Low power = low noise.
Xbox 360 Elite & HD-DVD accessory

(Custom black case on the HD-DVD drive to match the console.)
Nintendo Wii
6x Sony SS series speakers 6.1 configuration
Velodyne DLS-3750 185w 10" subwoofer
---

As you can see, there have been alot of changes not reflected in any of the above photographs. I've been negligent in regards to keeping this thread updated. Once the major changes outline above are complete, I will either update this tread or state a new one in the "Dedicated Home Theater" forum.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Equipment List: (as of July 23, 2011)
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500UB 1080p 3LCD Front Projector
EliteScreens 120" Manual Screen Matte White 1.1 gain
Samsung PN63A760 63" 1080p 63" 1080p Plasma
Onkyo TX-NR809*
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray/Universal Disc Player
DishNetwork VIP722 HD DVR
Pioneer CLD-D701 Laserdisc player
JVC HR-S3500U Super VHS VCR
HTPC Intel Atom/NVidia powered
Xbox 360 Elite & HD-DVD accessory

(with "custom" black case to match the console.)
Nintendo Wii
6x Sony SS series speakers 6.1 configuration
Velodyne DLS-3750 185w 10" subwoofer
---

Added the Onkyo TX-NR809 since last post which allowed me to remove the switch & splitter. Here it is in place with the Oppo BDP-93 as well:

Planning to add a VIP 3D-Theatre (or Displayer- haven't decided yet) with 3-pairs of MonsterVision RF-synched Active Shutter glasses in the coming months. ETA- September?

Also still owed a picture of the updated LD & S-VHS decks since the have rotated out since my original photos; so here it is:

(Yeah, I know its a tad dusty there. I'm usually too lazy to bend far enough to properly dust up under there.)

Still planning on enclosing the archway with framing & drywall so that the curtains can come down. The curtain may have to stay over the door way for sometime as I don't know how excited I am at the prospect of adding a door myself. Has anyone else ever had to add a rectangular door to an arched opening?

However, I should state that this desire is for cosmetic reasons- I would like to room to appear more "enclosed" like a proper theater room. Ambient light is not a problem with the black out curtains & chocolate brown walls as you can see here:

Photo was taken in early evening hours with the sun to the west (when the sun shines in from the east in late morning, there is a very minimal amount of ambient light which hasn't been a concern as my wife & I rarely watch movies during that time of day) which would be a typical time to fire up the projector & start on a double feature. I can assure you that the projector is properly aligned with the screen, I just can't position myself dead-on to take a photo to save my life.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Goodness...

I also just realized that I still had photos of my screen suspended with that awful chain-getup. That hasn't been the case for well over a year and was never more than temporary.

Here is how it has been suspended for quite some time now:

(Ignore the tape that I had stuck on there for aligning the projector just before I took this photo!
)

Much better this way.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And last post for now...

I've previously made reference to my project screen. A 131" fixed frame screen built and finished by hand. It may or may not ever come to fruition as it would require doing away with the plasma & relocating my DVD shelving. However, I have complete 85% or so nontheless.

Here is a picture of the framing for the screen with the back of the screen surface visible:

And this is the unfinished screen surface:

Finishing the screen surface requires filling & sanding the joints, priming & then painting with an appropriate pure white screen paint. I have filled & sanded the joints & primed and painted. However, I made a mistake with one joint which required removing the screen surface & starting over again so it is now back at the sanding stage again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts