AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Toshiba 65H81. Do I understnad correctly that HDTV's do not tune in OTA HDTV without some sort of box upstream from the input? In other words you can't hook up an antenna right to the TV and then view HDTV? Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yes and no. The TV you purchased is "HDTV-capable" or "HDTV-compatible". This type of set is capable of receiving and displaying an HDTV signal, but requires an external receiver/decoder. The majority of HDTV sets today are of this type.

The other type of HDTV is the "HDTV-ready" set. This type of set has an HD receiver/decoder built in.

The short answer is you will need an external receiver/decoder to receive OTA HDTV. Right now the only OTA receivers I am familiar with are built into satellite reeivers, the most popular being the DISH 6000 and the DirecTV DTC-100 receivers.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but there it is. For additional information search this forum for "STB" or one of the receiver models above.

Enjoy your new set.

Chip

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Toshiba has a set top box the DST3000. Best Buy is closing out the DTC-100 and now sells the Toshiba model. If you just want over the air HDTV this is a good unit. It will also receive HBO HD and other non HD satellite from DirecTV. If you want HBO HD, Showtime HD, and a pay per view HD, the Dish 6000 is a good way to go. It receives Dish Network satellite.

I have a Toshiba TW65X81 (the 2000 model), a Dish 6000, and a Sony 5.1 sound system. I love it.

Rick

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check out the Samsung SIRT-150 OTA box. There are many references to it on this forum. It's OTA only (no satellite), quite sensitive, and if you buy it before 8/31, there's a $100 factory rebate. I have one connected to my Toshiba 57H81, and it works great!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.