AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I introduced myself on the General Home Theater board, but thought I would come over here and say hi as well!

I finally have husband approval to start working on the basement (girlcave?) and am just starting the brainstorming/design process.

I'm working with a blank slate, basement has never really been touched, but I do have a few limitations. Current floor to joist height is about 7'8", will end up being less once a real ceiling is put in. There are some lolly columns that are a pain (aren't they always?), and the water heater and furnace could be in a better position (may have them moved), sump pit is also a bear.

Here's a pic of my current basement with measurements:

The current idea is to include a bar, screen and projector, two rows of seating (possibly a bar and stools behind for extra seating?), Hubs wants a pool table (I'm giving him the side-eye about that, but we'll see), and enough room for whatever other toys strike my fancy.

I plan on doing various design sketches this weekend, I'll post the ones that look promising. But the build itself will be exceptionally slow, because it will be just me, and I work 50+ hours a week! But I'll take my time and do it right, we're planning on being in this house for a long time to come, so I might as well have something I can enjoy and be proud of when I'm finished.

In the meantime, I've been reading all of your threads, and I have to say I'm really impressed with all the ideas and the craftsmanship of your builds! And of course, ideas, critiques and sarcasm are all greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Thats a nice big space to work with... though the lollies definitely break things up quite a bit. It might be worth having an engineer out to see about relocating them if possible. You could definitely work around them, but you may have to make some compromises.

Given that you posted in the 'General' forum first, I'm guessing that you are going for a more open space? When I saw your drawing, my first thought came to Driving_Hamster's Fog Valley Cinema thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=954209

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I agree with jamis. I would see if you could move some of those lollies around.

Looks like it could be a fun project. Got any pics of the space?

PS. I like your sig!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jamis: Definitely open space, I have a feeling that by closing in areas it will be a bit too claustrophobic, especially without 10' ceilings. We also want to be able to throw some wild parties down there (Risk/Axis and Allies anyone?), and open areas are a little more adaptable for entertaining purposes.

In2Photos: The thought of moving the poles had crossed my mind, but I'm betting that it would be hugely expensive. I'm really hoping to simply work around them.

I'm toying with just moving the furnace and water heater, and I'm sure that will be plenty expensive as well. But I'm guessing cheaper than moving the lolly columns.

Sidenote: I'm also toying with the idea of doing a Star Wars themed cinema area, just so I can call the snackbar area "Admiral Snackbar". Hm... the possibilities.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I also agree that is a nice, big, open space to work with... although having a few compromises, obviously.

It always annoys me when builders basically just throw in water heaters, furnaces, etc. pretty much anywhere in the basement where it is the most convenient for them without regard to possible future use.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pictures as requested:

Here's a few shots of the basement as it is currently:

Shot of the Front as you come down the stairs:

Moving to your left (clockwise along the diagram)

Alcove with Sump Pump:

Head on shot of the alcove with sump pump:

Area behind the stairs:

Coming around the stairs:

Close up of Rough In:

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Admiral Snackbar - That's too good, theme the snackbar at a minimum.

Move the furnace and the HW heater - - I did that in the old place. The costs were bundle in with a bunch of other things, so I can't tell you what the move itself cost. My HVAC guy did mention it would be a lot cheaper if we were just moving along the continuum of the existing trunk lines as opposed to what I did which was a wholesale relocation.

One thing I didn't think about at the time, that would have opened up some alternatives was to turn the stairs. Looking at your blueprint, a flip of the stairs and a slight bump of the furnace and h/w heater opens up the SE corner as another possibility.

I guess another option would build over your rough in, and then add your bath elsewhere. Best to consider all the alternatives before you finalize plans.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpixie08 /forum/post/15509444

We also want to be able to throw some wild parties down there (Risk/Axis and Allies anyone?), and open areas are a little more adaptable for entertaining purposes.

Cool. My two favorite time sinks at work - AVS and BBG. Nice to know that someone else shares the home theater meets gaming bug.

Anyway, you do have some great space to work with, but there aren't any obvious winners when it comes to a dedicated theater space. It just kills me how they can some of that piping. That being said, all of it can be relocated if you are willing to get a bit dirty. it isn't that hard to bust up the floor and shift things a bit. The area by the rough in is looking like your best bet right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts