AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for the SB Audigy card and the dd/dts passthru problems. I've tried all that I thought would help but no-go. I can see the 2.0 mode working according to my external a/v receiver and I think that's because it's the default. I'm running win2k w/ sp2, sb audigy platinum ex with the external drive and the latest drivers. My goal is to pass the dd signal from the hipix card to the sb. And pass the dd/dts from the dvd drive to the sb. Then take the coax spdif out and pass that to my a/v receiver. I know the hipix dd signal is working - connected hipix ac3 out to coax input on a/v rec and I get 5.1 with no problems.

Any ideas as to what else I could try?

TIA.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Ken:

Have you tried unchecking the ac3 box under Audio HQ/Speakers/Settings.

This will prevent the SB from decoding the signal itself and should allow you to pass through whatever source signal you are trying to send to your receiver.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just use a good quality regular coax cable (RG6). Then use an F-Type Connector to Fit an RCA plug to adapt the end for the receiver coax in. Radio shack makes these adapters. The gold plated one's cat # is 278-290.

For the SB side of the cable either use the same F to RCA adapter for the live drive connection (if you have one) or you may have to adapt out the digital mini on the back of the card to. You can use a stereo or mono mini out to either an F or RCA adapter for the coax . If you use the stereo I believe that the digital signal will be passed only on the left channel.

Works well for me! You can easily run these 30 feet or more. As always make sure that you select "Digital Output Only" on the output.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Being the curious tinkerer that I am--I hooked my SB Audigy Plat-EX to my onkyo 989 coax5 input using a 3.5mm(mono)-to-RCA cable(like illustrated on page 9 of the 'getting started' book) and I too am only getting stereo through my receiver. I went into the speaker settings--selected 5.1 speakers with 'digital out only' and disabled the AC-3 decoder in the SB and double checked my receiver's settings. When I test using SB only the front left and right play the voice--when I test using the receiver all 7.1 play the noise.

????????What gives????????

The only thing I can think of that may make a difference is that in the book it says SPDIF input instead of coax--but why would that make it so only 2-channels pass digitally?

I know I could always hook it back up using analog--but I'd rather leave my onkyo 939 DVD player hooked to those inputs for DVD-A.

I've run out of ideas...anyone?

JediMastr

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ken,

I have the AIW ATI and the audigy platinum ex. I connected the SPDIF (coax) output from the AIW to the SPDIF input on the external box. The from the external box SPDIF (optical , no more coax left on receiver) to an optical input on the receiver. Then in the SB AudioHQ>Device controls>Digital Input. If I select SPDIF bypass then whatever comes in on the SPDIF input is pass to all the SPDIF outputs unchanged. This for me has the added advantage of doing a coax to optical conversion. If I want to pass sounds from the SB out this port I select default instead. This should be similar to what you are doing with the HiPix.

JediMastr,

The Audigy will not do DD encoding and outputs stereo unless the software a DVD player for example is able to pass the DD or DTS signal to the audigy for more info go here .

-Don

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
DRH,

I'm not sure exactly why Powerdvd and SB aren't getting this 'SPDIF thing' right. I've downloaded the WinXP patch and updated drivers for the SB and PwrDVD--but still no luck! Actually, now it's behaving worse. I loaded 'the phantom menace', and get no sound and the pic keeps freezing up(I have to keep hitting 'next' just to get to the menu!) Anyway, here's the info I got from PwrDVD:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Information :

Player Region Code : Not Specified

Current Focus Drive : D:

Title Region Code : 1

Display Information :

Video Mode : Weave

Display Mode : DirectShow

FourCC Code : NV12

Surface Type : Hardware Video Accelerator (DxVA)

Video Attribute :

Video compression mode : MPEG-2

TV system : 525/60 (NTSC)

Aspect Ratio : 16:9

Display Mode : Only Letterbox

Source picture resolution : 720x540 (525/60)

Frame Rate : 29.97

Source picture letterboxed : Not letterboxed

Bitrate : 9.80Mbps

Audio Attribute :

Audio Coding mode : Dolby AC-3

Sampling Rate : 48kHz

Audio application mode : Not specified

Number of Audio channels : 2

Bitrate : 192.00 Kbps

Number of Audio streams : 4

Subpicture Attribute :

Number of Subtitles : 4

Hardware Information :

Processor: Intel

3DNow! Technology : Not Detected

Enhanced 3DNow! Technology : Not Detected

IA MMX Technology : In Use

IA Streaming SIMD Extensions : In Use

Video Accelerator : NVIDIA Hardware Video Acceleration (in use)

Multispeakers Audio Device : Not Detected

SPDIF Output Device : Not Detected

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last part is what I can't figure out--why is it not detecting SPDIF Output? When I go into PwrDVD's Audio setup and choose 'use spdif output', all the audio modes are disabled, but I do see that Dolby Surround is checked--am I supposed to un-check it? If so, how? I'm at my 'wit's end'--short trip, but a depressing one!

HELP!!!!

JediMastr

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Ok, after playing with the settings of about every thing in the computer, and downloading updates and reinstalling every driver I could think of...I've finally got the SPDIF DD signal from PwrDVD out of my SB Audigy--but enabling SPDIF in PowerDVD plays havoc with my video and audio sync. The video gets choppy or freezes up, while audio plays fine--then the video runs smoothly and audio cuts out completely--then I rewind, pause, and play until eventually they both work properly.

Could one of you guys who gets perfect operation out of their--powerdvd3.0, WinXP, Audigy (using spdif), and hopefully a geforce3--combination, please post your settings, drivers, and information from playin a DVD in PWRDVD(as I did in previous post)--and any other info you may feel is relevant.

Thanks in advance!!!

JediMastr

BTW, I'm not even sure what, if anything I did, helped me to get it working this much--I'll double check everything...again...and play with it some more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
JediMastr,

I have just played part of 'the phantom menace' without problem. To get DD to work in PowerDVD goto PowerDVD config>audio I choose Use SPDIF and in AudioHQ>Speakers>Settings I unchecked AC3. One differance is that I do not use the digital output on the card. I am using the optical output on the external box. My receiver has 6 anagol channel inputs as well as coax and optical. So I hooked up the 6 analog ouputs to the receiver and an optical as well.

Since you are using the Analog/Digital output jack on the back of the card you must check Digital output only in AudioHQ>Speakers. This controls that jack setting it for digital or analog output. But since you have the EX I would use one of the SPDIF outputs on the box instead then you can leave the Digital output only box unchecked. Also go to cyberlink audio packs and make sure you have the proper audio pack installed. I have them all.

-Don

·
Registered
19 Posts
Try disabling Hardware Video Acceleration and see if that helps.

-Don

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
DRH,

I forgot to mention that I am using the drive's spdif output now. Well...after all this tinkering--I decided to uninstall powerdvd3.0(the disc came bundled with dvd player) and reinstall my asusdvd 2000(I got with video card)--guess what? yep, spdif DD through the drive now works fine with 'TPM' dvd. Oh BTW, Asusdvd 2000 IS powerdvd3.0...go figure!

I think when I installed a patch from powerdvd over the asus labeled, something screwy must've happened. So I installed the other powerdvd and applied the patch--that didn't help. Finally I got tired of the whole thing and went back to Asus with no patch--that worked. So in the end, the only real change I've made was to use the drive's spdif output--what a waste of time--oh well, at least I don't have as many wires running behind my Receiver!

JediMastr

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Ken, according to users on creative's forum, you can't pass AC3 through from S/PDIF and out to the receiver. Get on creative's forum and try the same question.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got SPDIF output of both Dolby Digital and dts from the optical out of my Audigy Platinum Ex external box using PowerDvd XP under Windows XP Pro. Besides unchecking the ac3 box as Knuck suggested (thanks Knuck!), I also had to switch audio streams in PowerDvd (in the PowerDvd control panel, there is a "Next Audio Stream" button). Zoom player also works. This was tested using the Chicken Run DVD, so it's possible that switching audio streams in PowerDvd is only necessary with this one DVD.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.