AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using SB Live Value with Hoontech daughterboard connected via SPDIF Coax (using regular RCA stereo cable, 25 feet) to my receiver. I've had audio dropouts for as long as I've had this thing, and they occur whenever a light switch or any other electrical appliance is turned on or off in the apartment! I've upgraded everything else around this thing (MB, CPU, RAM, PSU, VC, you name it) including software (Win 98, Win ME, currently XP), so it must be either the card or cable! Ever since the upgrade to XP, I now get stuttering as well. Is there anything simple that I may be overlooking (could it be the cable?)?

I have the SB 5.1 which I would like to try in it's place, but I dont know how to connect the SPDIF mini phone jack to my receiver. Could not find a DB, cable or adapter that would convert to coax, how's everybody else got this card connected to their receiver for DD/DTS?

My connection from PC to receiver runs about 25 feet, so buying quality coax or switching to optical will probably cost me a bundle. Would better cable do the trick? Thanks for any info in advance!!! BTW, did a search here in this forum....nothing!!

Finally.....as I type this, I am somehow picking up somebody else' typing (dont know from who or what....doesnt make much sense. Sometimes just letters inserted in a middle of my typing, or no output at all from my keyboard). My wife just mentioned experiencing something similar while in google and yahoo (somebody's typing was coming up on the search field area and was just scrolling along making little sense)! Just formatted this drive, and as soon as I log off will update NAV and do a full scan! I would greatly appreciate any help, thank you!

My System:

WIN XP, AMD XP 1600, 640 mb RAM, Sapphire 9000 (64 mb Radeon), USR modem, SB Live value, Gigabyte GA-7VAXP, Antec True pwr 430 PSU.

Thanks!

Gerald

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Use a stereo mini-jack to RCA adaptor. The dropouts are driver related.

I was using XP and the drivers either had tons of dropouts or the signal wouldn't lock onto 5.1. Now I use Win2k with a somewhat older set of drivers and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Like you, I also have an AMD/XP system with a Soundblaster Live w/ Hoontech. It has dropouts too. I "fixed" the problem by switching to an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card. :)

I keep the old Soundblaster in the machine for games, though. My hope is that the M-Audio Revolution should allow me to replace both cards with a single card...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I also own the SB Live! value that came with SPDIF out and my speaker have 5.1 decode which works fine with input from standalone DVD player. However, I just can't get any AC3 pass thru SPDIF to the speaker to work when I play Divx w/ AC3 sounds. I am currently using FFDSHOW w/ InterVideo Audio Decoder set to Spdif out and set "Digital out only" under SB.

I also run Mini-phono jack to RCA from my SB to the speakers.

Any suggestion to slove this problem?

·
Registered
33 Posts
regarding problems with typing, you're not using a wireless keyboard are you ? they can pick up interferance from other wireless keyboards in close proximity.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I use the SBlive 5.1 with a Hoontech daughter-card (knock off version) and it randomly stutters, hitting stop and play or pause and play usually stops it, if not, I usually reinstall the app that is having the problems or with the Zoomplayer, I would re-register the filter. The stuttering usually shows back up after an install of a competiting product of what I am using, I swear that it happens on purpose, but it goes away pretty quick after a reinstall/re-register of the filter.

Jim

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rayzor,

Nope, it's not a wireless keyboard. I updated NAV last night and did a full scan and no viruses! Whatever it is, it's still showing up and causing some serious CPU usage to the point of locking up my computer. I just saw it again tonight, and it appears to show up on any active program/software capable of displaying text (it came up on Microsoft Word as soon as I opened a blank Doc, before I can even type in a letter) while connected to the internet! I disconnected the phone line to the modem while this was happenning, and it continued on for a good half minute before it completely stopped. Not sure if that proves anything, should it have stopped immediately if it was indeed coming from the internet connection? All I know is this thing only comes up when I'm connected to the internet.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm currently working on disabling all those unneeded XP services, and then I'll slave in the SB 5.1.

Gerald

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, I forgot to mention that when all the interference occurs and starts to slow down my PC, and now causing all kinds of wierd behaviors...in task manager, there is this entry: "sapisvr.exe" under image name in Processes tab. CPU bounces around, and memory usage is up around 34,000k. Ending this particular process seems to stabilize things (I have no idea what it is, and it's got my name under username). Any ideas on this one? Thanks again!

Gerald

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
A quick search on Google gets many sites like this:

"The cause of your mysterious unknown problem resides in a program called “sapisvr.exe.â€

Basically, “sapisvr.exe†is a speech recognition program ... "

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just want to thank everyone who chimed in with help and advice!!!

The speech recognition thing fixed my mysterious typing interference.....Thanks Jesse!!

The new SB Live 5.1 replacing the old SB Live Value card fixed the dropouts....thanks to all for its setup!!

The audio playback stutterring went away after another clean install of XP Pro (changing to XP WDM drivers didn't do the trick, but thanks for the tip anyway!!)!

The only difference in hardware aside form the new sound card is the absence of the USR modem (don't know if that contributed to anything).

After re-loading XP and all other software, my HTPC is now in great working order and I couldn't be happier with it (looks like it'll be a Merry Christmas after all :D) !! Once again, thanks to everyone!!!

Gerald

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.