AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first, my apologies if this turns out to be nothing useful, but I'm not very up on 44.1/48khz sampling etc.

Anyway, I seem to recall that the reason DTS encoded CD's cannot play on a PC with a SB live card are because the EMU10K1 chip resamples everything, including 44.1 to 48khz. Now, I found this site some time ago, but only just got around to reading it:

SBlive site

Under 'digital I/O' there is mention of bypassing the circuitry which resamples the bitstream. Now, as DTS cd's are encoded in 44.1khz, and I believe that it is impossible for the SB card to output at anything but 48khz (meaning this bypass wouldn't work) maybe this is useless. Of course, this might be useful for any audio recorded at 48khz in keeping it pure.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone who knows about these things could cast their eye over this site and see if it is of any use.

I'd give the drivers a try myself, but as I don't have any access to anything 48khz or DTS encoded cd's, I wouldn't be able to prove/disprove anything.

Cheers.

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
nutcase ,

Good idea but will not work for HTPC use . What that would allow you to do is to record DTS audio cd's right to your Hard Drive without any resampling . It would be great if there was a way to pass 44.1 khz instead of 48 khz via the Sp/dif out on the Live series but I don't think it can be done via drivers or software [ if at all ] .

good eye though ,

Jason Berg

·
Registered
888 Posts
If you were to connect the digital out on your cd-rom to one of the digital-in ports on the sb-live, then you would be able to play a DTS cd and route it through your live and out to your receiver with DTS decoder by selecting the "sp-diff pass-thru." I have done something very similar to this myself with a standard sony cd-player, I ran the optical out of the cd-player to the sb-live platinum's optical in, and then ran the sblive's coax out to my receiver. With "sp-dif pass-through" enabled, the DTS cd played just fine.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. A bit of contradiction there? I actually found mention of the drivers on the Creative site, and they hinted that they weren't too happy about people using those drivers, and it being illegal (not licensed etc.) sothat puts a bit of a downer on it if they were useful anyway!

Thanks again anyway.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I haven't tried it for movies because my htpc is my dvd player. But I don't see why not, that setting clearly prevents the card from mangling the bitstream, else the DTS cd would not have played. I don't know why it would be any different for DVD sourced DTS bitstream.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Does anyone know the registry setting which turns on and off the "SPDIF Bypass" function? It would be much more convenient to double-click a .reg file to turn on/off this feature without having to go deep into the menus. I am doing something similar with my Hipix card. I have the digital S/PDIF looping back into the digital coax input of my SB Live!

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
While it may actually work for a DTS audio cd with the spdif pass-thru enabled it should not work for a DVD at all . As we all know the audio track of a DVD is not passed to the digital out of a DVD-rom drive , this output is for audio cds only .

I was curious to test it however on a DTS dvd , it did not work . This would be fantastic if it could be worked out somehow but I really don't think it will apply for DVD use . I mean if it were that simple then you could just hardwire an output directly from your digital out on the DVD-rom drive and send it direct to your decoder ! Which I tried as well with no luck other than with normal audio cds . While there may be ways to obtain this I really don't think it can be done on an SB Live by using drivers and registry hacks . I honestly hope that I am wrong and someone that knows more can figured it out for the rest of us ;) .

Best of Luck ,

Jason Berg

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
But what if the radeon all in wonder, which has its own spdif out port could be told by the DVD player to output DTS? I just don't understand why the DVD player 4.1 won't just output the DTS stream.

·
Registered
599 Posts
DaGamePimp/Jason
Quote:
As we all know the audio track of a DVD is not passed to the digital out of a DVD-rom drive , this output is for audio cds only
1) I didn't know that :) (well, i knew the 1st part, not the 2nd)

2) a few months back in the HTPC forum, someone told me to "throw away" that little cable that connects the DVD/CDROM player into a sound card, that the small guage of the wire couldn't properly xmit the high bandwidth of DTS/DD, etc.

3) I'm having trouble getting a DTS audio disc to play through my Hercules Fortissimo II - I've been to their site and there doesn't seem to be a passthru option... thats another issue... but my question is for you to confirm that I DO need the supplied audio cable from the CD drive to the audio (whichever it may be) card. I might not even have mine installed.

thx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.