Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

My two month old 5040 (now 5120) died this week. No lights, no sound, no hum, no nothing. Have disconnected all and reconnected all. Nothing. I may as well have the wires connected to a tree stump.

Anyone else have experience with total blackout? My assumption is that it's the power supply that's dead. Rather than mess around with putting the original drive back in, etc. my pref would be to troubleshoot to isolate the ps as the problem and then replace - any guidance on effective (quiet) replacements?

Worse comes to worse, I'll put the original drive back in and return for swap. Interested in the forum's hivemind opinion first, though.

Thanks!

gs

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Sonic Blue policy is no units that has been opened will be serviced. Even if you are willing to pay. one of the big drawbacks of doing the HD upgrade hack.

Edit to say. Now that we have D&M in the mix. who knows what their Policy will be.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Total blackout *could* be the power supply, and Mikeyboy can help you with that (I *think* he can do 5xxx ones at least...) but if you're wrong, you'll have really lost any chance of having it fixed under warranty.

I'd go the RMA route. Don't mention your upgrade, just put the old drive back in. If its dead anyway, you shouldn't mind going two weeks without one as long as you have a sure bet it will be fully functional upon return.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Sorry, I only have experience and parts for replay2000 and 3000/showstopper power supplies. If the 5000 is anything like the 4000 it has multiple power outputs.

There should be a blown fuse on the power supply. You should be able to replace it with one from Radio Shack.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I had to open my 5040 to re-image the hard drive I didn't think to check the output voltages from the power supply, I may do that soon.

Anyway IF the power supply only needs to output 5 & 12 volts, check this - it will give you an idea that there are sources for the parts that we need at a price that we can live with!

If the only voltages the Replay uses is +5, +12 & -12 VDC then check this out.

http://www.jameco.com/

Under clearance products

Jameco #190342CP

Mfg Ref # NFS85-7632

Price ea. USD 4.94

Open Frame Switching DC Power Supply

Manufacturer: Computer Products

Watts: 80.0

Output voltage (VDC/A): [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Input voltage: [email protected]/60Hz

Size: 7.0"L x 4.2"W x 1.3"H

Weight: 1.3 lbs.

Regards

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I have even more bad news. Depending on the size of your boat, I doubt you could even use it as a boat anchor--the RTV just isn't heavy enough. Others have suggested using it as a doorstop. Good luck though. Let us know how it works out.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amazingly Smooth
Others have suggested using it as a doorstop. Good luck though. Let us know how it works out.
I tried using it as a doorstop but I kept stubbing my toe, so

it's not good for that either. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well I wonder if he had it plugged into a UPS? If not then everyone who doesnt should take heed and spend the bucks. I have gone through 3 power outages due to thunderstorms so far and (knock on wood) the 5040 never had a clue anything was going on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.