AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SB touch that I have connected directly to my Denon receiver and the sound is great but it has made me hungry for more. I have been reading about the improvements a good DAC could possibly add but I am unsure if I can utilize the DAC due to not having a dedicated 2 channel system. I’m hoping you guys can answer a few questions for me related to the Denon.

So here they are:

Would adding a DAC between my SB Touch and Denon provide any audio improvement?

Would you want to connect it digitally to the Denon or Analog?

If connected Analog would the Denon then have to convert the audio back to Digital to process?

If using a DAC is a good idea any suggestions on the best way to connect it to my system would be appreciated.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I used to own an external dac on my 2 channel rig with my squeezebox classic. I ended up selling the dac as I did not notice a difference, although I know that others have reported finding value in this. I purchased out of curiosity and sold at a minimal loss, so it was worth the test for me.

Does your Denon have a Pure Direct analog setting? I do know that it isn't uncommon for receivers to convert an anolog signal back to digital and then back to analog (I'm guessing in order to apply bass management?). In my opinion, this defeats the purpose of an external dac.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes currently I listen to the SB connected digital with pure direct though this still shows the subwoofer being used.

Often you can find a Brick and Mortar that will let you demo it in your system since they are so small and portable. I'm just looking to be more informed and possibly decide whether it’s worth the trouble

1 - 3 of 3 Posts