AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have on order a SB2000, and until I find the right network receiver I want to hook it up using a NAD C340 amp I have around as follows:

The amp has pre-out and main-in jacks that are jumpered in stock configuration. They separate the pre-amp and power amp portions of the integrated amp.

I was planning to run pre-out to the SB2000's input, and the SB2000's output to "main in". This will put an 80hz high pass filter on the signal going to my bookshelf sized mains, which seems appropriate. The adjustable low-pass filter on the sub can then be set to match/suit.

This makes a lot of sense to me, am I missing something? What is the high-pass filtered sub output for, if not for this scenario?

Thanks!

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby  /t/1522998/sb2000-setup-with-nad-c340-integrated-amp#post_24494569

Here is a link to the manual and an excerpt describing the Live Level Outputs:
https://system.na1.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=13900&c=3634088&h=3af5860520efce248001&_xt=.pdf&ck=REJM_oTgAd_alUgL&vid=REJM_oTgAeLalcyB&cktime=123012&addrcountry=US&gc=clear&ext=F

"Line Level Outputs

These outputs are used in 2-channel applications to high pass the signal being

sent to the loudspeaker amplifier. The line level outputs feature a fixed 80 Hz

12 dB/octave high pass filter."

Right... seems like that describes what I'm doing, no? I'm planning on connecting like the last paragraph on page 9 describes, only that my pre-amp and power amp happen to be in the same box.

Quoted from manual:

"With this connection method, you do have the option of using the subwoofer to high pass

the signal being sent to the loudspeaker amplifier. The line level outputs feature a fixed 80

Hz 12 dB/octave high pass filter. In order to high pass the loudspeakers, connect the pre/pro

outputs to the subwoofer line level inputs. Then connect the subwoofer line level output to

the loudspeaker amplifier inputs. Adjust the low pass filter on the subwoofer to 80 Hz and

then do final low pass blending by ear."

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I can't say what you're doing would work (out, to sub, from sub back to NAD) I use a SB+12

I run pre-amp--->sub--->poweramp---> speakers

The high passfilter filters out low frequencies from the line level, (passed HF 80hz and up)

So what you're wanting to do is similar to me, just that the pre-amp and poweramp is in the same unit, and looping in and back in.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajama sam  /t/1522998/sb2000-setup-with-nad-c340-integrated-amp#post_24494489

I have on order a SB2000, and until I find the right network receiver I want to hook it up using a NAD C340 amp I have around as follows:

The amp has pre-out and main-in jacks that are jumpered in stock configuration. They separate the pre-amp and power amp portions of the integrated amp.

I was planning to run pre-out to the SB2000's input, and the SB2000's output to "main in". This will put an 80hz high pass filter on the signal going to my bookshelf sized mains, which seems appropriate. The adjustable low-pass filter on the sub can then be set to match/suit.

This makes a lot of sense to me, am I missing something? What is the high-pass filtered sub output for, if not for this scenario?

Thanks!

You got it right. That's exactly what it's for. To connect in between a pre-amp and an amplifier, which is what your main-in/pre-amp jacks allow you to do

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1522998/sb2000-setup-with-nad-c340-integrated-amp#post_24495819

You got it right. That's exactly what it's for. To connect in between a pre-amp and an amplifier, which is what your main-in/pre-amp jacks allow you to do

Thank you. It seems pretty clear to me too - what puzzles me is that SVS customer service is telling me this is not the correct way to do it and I can't figure out why.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajama sam  /t/1522998/sb2000-setup-with-nad-c340-integrated-amp#post_24495931

Thank you. It seems pretty clear to me too - what puzzles me is that SVS customer service is telling me this is not the correct way to do it and I can't figure out why.

They also told me to split my source from the pre-amp, running it to both the amp and my SB-1000 sub. I *like* using the 80hz crossover because it allows me to configure my setup for a little extra midbass emphasis. Some purists, though, think you ought to set the sub low pass filter to the roll off of the speakers. Maybe that's it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1522998/sb2000-setup-with-nad-c340-integrated-amp#post_24495952

They also told me to split my source from the pre-amp, running it to both the amp and my SB-1000 sub. I *like* using the 80hz crossover because it allows me to configure my setup for a little extra midbass emphasis. Some purists, though, think you ought to set the sub low pass filter to the roll off of the speakers. Maybe that's it.

I guess, but the roll-off of the speakers, now governed by the 80hz / 12db/octave slope filter, should be if anything more definite and predictable, and more easily matched.

Maybe I'm the kind of purist that isn't crazy about splitters

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajama sam  /t/1522998/sb2000-setup-with-nad-c340-integrated-amp#post_24496020

I guess, but the roll-off of the speakers, now governed by the 80hz / 12db/octave slope filter, should be if anything more definite and predictable, and more easily matched.

Maybe I'm the kind of purist that isn't crazy about splitters

Yep. I'm the guy that thinks the SVS sealed subs can produce better bass below 80hz than my speakers.

So ignore their advice, and go ahead and hook it up!

Reactions: pajama sam
1 - 9 of 9 Posts