Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My friend and I had the chance to compare the audio/video quality of 3 dvd players...

- htpc 1ghz ati 7200 (720x480), sblive platinum optical

- nintaus progressive vga out 480p, coax

- micromega reference 5bnc RGBHV (~$4000), coax

(running on a sony 1292 and meridian 568)

---

We found the nintaus' picture was yellowish, the micromega's a bit blue and the htpc was about right.

My friend liked micromega's sharpness best, but I could imagine it does a slight bit of edge enhancement.

For me motion was clearly best with the 71.9Hz htpc (micromega has this feature called "natural motion", I thought it sucked big time, everything looked like video instead of film, absolutely unwatchable)

---

We didn't do a lot of testing, but we heard differences between the nintaus and the micromega, the later being better.

!!! The biggest surprise was that switching between the micromega and cheap sblive...

we couldn't hear any difference !!!

I was ready to get an M-Audio spdif card because everyone was saying that they're so much better... But now I wonder if it's worth it!

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
For DVD's where the DD or DTS stream is already 48 KHz, the SB cards are fine... You run into problems when playing CD's, MP3's, or any other 44.1 KHz source. The SB cards (like many other sound cards) conform to the AC97 spec, which means they re-sample everything to 48 KHz. This results in an "uneven" resample, since 48 is not an even multiple of 44.1, which some people find objectionable.

Just to give some idea of how objectionable the resample might be, part of the reason 48 KHz was chosen as the sample rate of DAT was to discourage digital copying of CD's. The different sample rate made the DAT copy sound inferior to the CD.

If DVD is your only concern, the SB cards may be fine (there may be other issues with incorrect S/PDIF voltage levels used by the SB cards). For any other source, however, go with something better like the M-Audio 2496 that tracks the sources sampling rate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi guys

I'm using a Zoltrix Nightengale Pro with a daughter card which carries 2 coax and toslink each SPDIF. On the control menu, I could choose either 44.1 or 48 KHz sampling rate for output playback.

Is that mean I wouldn't get a uneven sampling when I have my CDs or MP3 playback? This soundcard is not expensive at all and I found it very stable on OS like Win98, Me, W2K and WinXP Pro! Though I still considering a M-Audio 410 :p

Thanks,

--Lucas

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The Zoltrix Nightengale Pro is also very popular here, as it is more cost effective if you are just passing S/PDIF and are not too concerned with DAC quality.

I don't use the Zoltrix, but I believe with the Zoltrix you have to manually change the sample rate, the Delta will auto-detect and set the correct rate for you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi

I upgraded from a SB Live to M-Audio Delta 410 almost 4 weeks ago and it is a great difference.

I have notice four big changes...

* No more lip-synch problem, Moulin Rouge with close-ups and singing was a nightmare with my SB Live.

* Less shutter, I almost thought it was gone until I saw the others last night and heard two shutters. =)

* the Bass seams deeper and better, typical heart beats are "real" now, not someone hitting a drum.

* No more problems! I had to change from win98se to winme but ever thing was rock stable after that.

But still I paid 4 times more for the M-Audio card so should I except anything else?

M-Audio is great upgrade if you already have your radeon card and want something more. :D

·
Registered
872 Posts
I got my Delta 410 about 2 weeks ago. I had the SBLive previously. It might be just me and my mind's justification on spending 2x the money but I hear so much more detail with the Delta 410. I swear I hear things on DVD soundtracks that I didn't hear before. The bass is so much more refined also. With other card, the bass tends to distort.

Does anyone else feel the same after upgrading from an SBLive?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"Does anyone else feel the same after upgrading from an SBLive?"

If you go back in this forum archive for over two years you will find that 99.5% of the people that have upgraded to a Delta card from SB Live feel the same as you.

When we first introduced the DiO 2496 card to the home theater market we offered a money back guarantee that if you don’t hear a difference (and like it) we would refund the full purchase price plus shipping. Not one customer ask for a refund.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the replies :)

I don't use this pc for anything except dvd playback... so if I get an M-Audio card it would most likely be the DiO2448...

- spdif in/out opt.

- spdif in/out coax

- 24bit max

- up to 48kHz

- stereo out for monitoring

And I prefer having the connectors (coax) on the slot bracket (instead of a breakout cable).

Can I expect ALL M-Audio-cards' spdif outs to be the same quality-wise? Do they all have the "same" electronics/chips or was their an evolution process in the digital parts?

cu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.