AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking very small sized bookshelves or satellites - If you had to pick one of the 3 as your fronts and rear surrounds, which ones would you go for?

- Ascend HTM-200 as 5.0 system

- HTD Middys using thier flat panel speaker as a center

- SVS SBS-01's using thier SVS-01 as center

Or is there something i am missing for a big room but with max L/R / Surround speaker dimensions of 12 x 6 x 6?

Thanks in advance as i need to order them tomorrow so i'll have them for the superbowl...

Chris

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgt79 /forum/post/0

When you say do not compare, do you mean the SVS/Ascend are way better or the middy is the better, please clarify. Thanks.

the SVS and Ascends are much better.

It isn't even fair to compare...especially look at the price points. IMO, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have had some email conversations with Ron at SVS, and there is potential for them releasing the present center channel as a Left and Right as well. This would be interesting, as the Ascend 340 has a great following (MTM) and the center channel X series from AV123 has great reviews.

The smaller woofer on the SVS (5.25 vs 6.5) vs Ascend and X series, and the lesser sensitivity has led many to the X series or the Ascend 170. But the SVS center has bigger woofers than the 200 (5.25 vs 4.0). Between SVS, Ascend, and AV123 there are alot of choices that are pretty good, especially for the $$$. I am looking at the SVS centers for mains too, mostly because they have built in mounting capabilities the X series and 170's don't.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Instead of what?

I am hoping when the time comes I can compare SVS's SCS, X-series center, Ascend 170's, and Hsu's HB-1 in a weekend of reviews. Problem is it will be awhile (the longer it takes the more likely the mix will change if the next 3 months are like the last 9!). There is a local respected member to help review as well.

Those all have similar prices, are ID brands with good return policies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, to be a little more clear... I guess i'm just trying to ask if the HTD Middy's will be much better than the Bose AM10 which i was about to buy, while sounding good for HT and music to more a noob than a real audiophile. With that background, should I up the budget for the Ascends or SBS's or for the money and size, are the Midy's a great sounding speaker?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the HTD level 2 bookshelf, level 3 towers and 4 middies as rears in a 7.1 HT. The middies sound absolutely sweet (above 100 htz) as a full range ehhhhh.

They use the exact same tweeter at the level 2's and if correctly calibrated, with a decent subwoofer, they're perfect (above 100htz). The mid rage is not bad at all.

So as rears 5 stars,

as mains 3 stars (in a small room)

I'm talking about home theater here, not music. But they sound sweet at moderate levels for music too.

The reason I went with the middies as rear is their size. Using HTD's brackets they virtually disapear. A lil' bigger than Bose cubes but 10x's the sound quality.

Now if music is your thing, or HT with alot of live concerts or SACD well, the full rage mid bass will be missed. But for movies and TV, I think their PERFECT.

Again (above 100 htz).

I've become a BIG fan of HTD, so I am biased. My prior system was a set of NHT 2.5's with SuperZero for the rears. But at this price point, they're hard to beat!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.