AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking for opinions on which of the two would be a better choice/value. Will be used primarily for blu-ray movies and games with a front projector. Speakers are Axiom M60's, EP350 sub, VP-150 center and QS8's for surrounds. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
What features do you value?

The RX-V3900 has some nice features like Rhapsody and HD Radio. It can display short messages such as volume over HDMI (I have no idea if the 05 can do that.)

I would guess the the SC-05 has more power given that it seems to be rated with all channels driven. Ultimate demo'd the SC-05 or 07 for me, and it did not sound good. I would guess we could mostly blame that on a setup problem though.

Gene did not like that one of the SC models had frequency response issues, but that was using test signals. It's not clear whether that has any real world effect. See the Audioholics reviews.

I am not sure how MACC vs YPAO stands up. On my 3900, I think YPAO set to Natural sounds better than the other options. But the difference between THROUGH (EQ off?) and NATURAL is subtle. Maybe on some songs I might prefer THROUGH - I am not motivated to do extensive listening tests, sorry

I certainly would give the SC-05 a hard look if you want a lot of power. I cannot comment on their comparative sound. The 3900 sounds good to me.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your thoughts Michael-I know you are very familiar with the 3900. I currently have the RX-V1900 and feel that for a little more money I can have alot more receiver than what the 1900 offers. One thing that gripes me is not being able to set individual crossovers for all speakers; I can do this on my $300.00 Onkyo 606. There is alot I do like about the 1900 but again I feel like I might be missing the boat on some nice features in the 3900 or SC-05.

Listige: let me know what you end up doing and what your thoughts are.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same boat as y'all. Doing research for the new receiver (replacing my old HK AVR 230) and am trying to narrow down my choices. From everything I have read from A/V mag sites and all the forums here, the V3900 seems to have more video processing with the Anchor Bay chip upconverting both analog and HDMI to 1080p (something I dont necessary consider real pro or con) but I have heard nothing regarding how the two compare audiowise (Music or Movie). How much power savings would I see with the ICE amp? How do their power outputs compare (4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers)? Which is better MCACC or YPOA? I have yet to see a professional review of the V3900 so any info y'all could throw my way would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I returned my 1900 and ordered the 3900. I can tell you that for the 12 days I had the 1900 it performed very well. I really wrestled with returning it. It had fabulous power and watching Blu-Rays that were passed thru it was awesome; Iron Man was probably the most I have enjoyed watching a movie in 2 years! So, if the 3900 is the 1900 and more, in every respect, it has to be a fabulous piece of equipment.

·
Banned
1,108 Posts
I was in Magnolia two weeks ago and again tonight. I was considering the SC07. However, after listening to the Pioneer and Yamaha I have changed my mind. The Yamaha 1900 and 3900 just sound more filling across the FR. The Pioneers seem to be underpowered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello Trolly

I decided until now nothing

I have make a appointment

I go end next week too my Dealer and go listening and feel the 4 fxxrs {sc-05,07, rx v3900 , Dsp z7}

Its all close...
only i am now afraid
for the plastic touch of the Pio and the bad update service...

and more and more i think that the z7 is a really competition for the sc-05,07

the sound shall make the end decision

Listige

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.