AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Sears says they are now broadcasting the Saturday College Football Games From CBS Sports in HDTV via Dishnetwork as part of the Samsung promotion. Supposedly this has been on here now for a month or so. I hope to wander over tomorrow afternoon to check it out. I find this interesting in that both the Columbia (WLTX) and Florence (WBTW) affiliates have denied customer's waivers for the DISH CBS HD feed. Guess different rules apply...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hardrock,

Yes, thanks for the URL though I knew about the promotion before. I was in part trying to bring it to the attention of Columbia area AVS members that perhaps their Sears was showcasing the games in HD too. When the promotion first started my local Sears knew nothing about it; apparently they did get it set up several weeks ago.

Perhaps someone can explain it (other than its business) why can Sears get permission to get the CBS HD feed while local Dish subscribers cannot? The Columbia CBS affiliate is not broadcasting any DTV signal at this time and has, in the past, denied waivers for the Dish CBS HD feed. I still hope to go tomorrow and see part of the game.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't think the Sears stores get a waiver for CBS-HD. I think that DISH sets up a channel just for the Sears stores that they put the CBS-HD game on. This is a different channel than the regular CBS-HD feed that is available to customers.

I believe that this is part of Samsung's (and Sears') deal with CBS. They pay for the broadcast so they can sell HD sets and settop boxes.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Edwards
I don't think the Sears stores get a waiver for CBS-HD. I think that DISH sets up a channel just for the Sears stores that they put the CBS-HD game on. This is a different channel than the regular CBS-HD feed that is available to customers.
I think your right; that it was a special Sears feed. The receiver was not tuned to the game at 4pm when I got to the store. When I asked about it, one of the salesman went over and changed the receiver to the game. In doing so something flashed on the Screen that seemed to have Sears in the text.

added: PQ was blah but that was probably related to the narrow aspect mode they can't seem to get out of. Every set has either windowbox bars (if 16x9) or window and letterbox bars (if 4:3). (probably related to the fact they do not have a remote with a star button on it which I am told changes the aspect ratio of the output in HD mode). Maybe next week....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.