AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to letters from SC to Canadian SC HD subs, HD programming will be moved from F1 to E2 on October 1. This is not good news for us in areas outside the footprint of E2.

To see if you affected checkout www.telesat.com We are out of luck until F2 is put into service in early 2003. I guess we are stuck with only HBO/Showtime on the HDD-200 unless we get Unity Motion

·
Registered
137 Posts
Where can I get more info? The link to telestar.com does not work. I am really concerned because I live in Colorado and just spent $800 installing starchoice.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just got off the phone with StarChoice @ 1 888 554-STAR and the CSR said she knew nothing of this change and that there would be no such change in the near future. She also mentioned that it would cost them too much to change, everyone's dish to an oval that wanted HDTV, which generates them no new revenue. The person that got this letter, probably had a French package or some French option and that is why they needed a change, not for HDTV.

Makes sense to me.

------------------

-Tony

·
Registered
137 Posts
It is official. I just called freeway and they told me that they got a letter this morning. The HDTV programming will be moved to the E2 from F1 as of October 1st. Even Mike confirmed this. What a waste of money and effort. Might have a Navigo401, 90 cm dish and HDD200 for cheap soon :))

·
Registered
485 Posts
Does anyone know if HD programming is off on F1 yet?

------------------

-Tony

·
Registered
463 Posts
I suspect they will dual-feed the HD channels on F1 and E2 for a few weeks - after all, they will need time to convert HD subscribers to the larger oval dish.

Meanwhile, I'll have to examine my options. I can probably get E2 here in Champaign, IL via my big dish; I might even get a high enough signal with a 90cm offset to work. And moving the HD channels to E2 might be a good thing for HD enthusiasts in the long run - presumably StarChoice has some bandwidth available on E2 that they could dedicate to a second HD feed now that ABC is doing prime-time HD programming.

I would consider switching to BEV, but they are pretty much maxed out on available bandwidth from Nimiq 1. Until I see how they will handle the ABC HD feeds, I'll probably do nothing for a while.

John C.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Thus far in the new season I kind of like what Bev is doing with ABC considering they only have the east feed from them, but both east and west from CBS (and only 1 channel to show it all on). They've simply been showing the ABC HD first and when thats over flipping to CBS HD out of Seattle. It pretty much gives one access to all the shows from both networks although I must admit that since I live in the MTN time zone it works better than if I were in the Eastern, where'd I'd have to stay up til 11 (as opposed to 9) to see the start of CBS.

Course, I get CBS HD from Dish too from the east so I can watch it early if I so choose as well, if I dont care for what Bev is showing from ABC at the time. Then again, I get ABC HD OTA also.. geez, it's complicated keeping track of all the different start times! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Dan

Mitsubishi 55805

Dish 6000

DirecTv/Mitsu SR-HD400

Evu 6000

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Can anyone with good solid E2 signal access the E2 HD channels with the linear feed on a standard C/Ku-Band TVRO dish (the Star Choice standard signals are Circular polarized)? I have the S* receiver and 90 cm dish, but also have a 12 foot C/Ku dish and could easily swap the input over to my big dish for E2 HD if the HD channels don't have another signal on the opposite circular polarity getting in the way. That might work for many users here in the states with both format dishes available. I have used that trick before, but if there are both left and right hand CP signals the linear feed can't separate them. Here in Colorado I am on the extreme fringe, at best, so I would not be able to know if I just can't see E2 at all, or if there are two signals on the same feed and the receiver can't distinguish them. I have gotten some C-Band signals on E2, so I know where the sat is located, but the Ku footprint is much smaller.

------------------

jm in Boulder

·
Registered
485 Posts
JM,

I believe *C uses H/V polarity, I seem to remember rotating the LNB to get peek signal.

------------------

-Tony

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Toni

Thanks for the input. I did check with another private source on the web and it is listed as H/V there, so I guess I will give it a shot. I don't hold a lot of hope that I can get it here in Colorado. I noticed the HD channels 290/291 disappeared from my S* data base last night so I wonder if I will have to get a reset from my provider. Are the HD signals still on 290/291 on E2 or where would I look? Are there any SD strong channels that I could look for first to optimize the pointing on the BUD?

------------------

jm in Boulder

·
Registered
485 Posts
JM,

They are gone on my 401 as well. I have been trying to contact *S this morning, but all I get is a busy signal. I am not sure what needs to be done, but I think that a CSR has to hit the receiver again with new maps. I have to change my dish to an oval with twin lnbs or add another dish/lnb. With twin lnbs, I will also need the proper switch/splitter. @%&)&*^! I thnk, then I will need to call *C and tell them what kind of setup I have.

------------------

-Tony

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.