AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking seriously about getting an HDTV receiver (eg Panasonic) but wonder whether just getting a scaler and regualr receiver makes more sense...I know its a lot more money...Advice please (Thinking about the Rock, etc.)...Output will drive either the 50" Panny plasma and/or a plain NTSC (actually video input into 22" Apple cinema display

------------------

J. Sollender

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
No combination of standard DBS receiver & video scaler will equal a native HDTV image.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understood...But since today most signals are not HDTV, could I use the Panasonic HDTV receiver's "Native" format to output whatever signal is going through it (If the signal is HDTV, then that is what it will send) to the Faroujda NR and if it is native HDTV it stays that way and if not it gets upconverted automatically? I thought the Faroujda was auto-sensing...Thanks

------------------

J. Sollender

·
Super Moderator
21,529 Posts
Jeff- buy an HDTV STB-you will be much happier. There are several reasons why a SDTV box with NR will not be as good- one is that unless both displays can accept same rate from NR (usually 720 factory set) it will not work.If you do buy an NR, be sure you can return it if you are not impressed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was indeed thinking about buying the Panasonic HDTV receiver and using its "native" output...That is, whatever signal the Panny receives, it puts out. If the signal coming in to the receiver in non-HDTV (which is the case for most of the signals), then I assume the ooutput on the Panny will be 480 NTSC and assume both the SVHS output and RGB outputs will both (I pray) be putting out the same signal. I would route the RGB signal to the Faroujda NR scaler and if the signal was NTSC it would scale it and if it were HDTV, 720p. THe SVHS output from the Panny receiver would, of course would not be putting out signal if the signal was HDTV and I can live with that. What would be the ideal for me is to be able, from the one signal coming into this room, to split it so one signal is always going to be NTSC (regardles of the original resolution) and the other 720p and to see both simultaneously on two separate monitors. I have yet to figure out how to do this....Thanks

------------------

J. Sollender

·
Super Moderator
21,529 Posts
The NR will give you the 720p and S-VHS at the same time

Or you could use a component video ditribution amp(eg VAC brick) to split the signal before the NR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.