AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the Skyworth, I have a great DVD picture on my Panny 50 plasma display. Thanks to TWC, I have a great hi def picture on the 9 high def channels I get. What's driving me nuts is the crummy standard digital picture.

Would a scaler improve the NTSC digital signal, or would I just magnify the noise?

Leslie

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey, Leslie! Hope things are going well!

I think the answer depends on what your seeing now.

If you want better video deinterlacing (as opposed to film deinterlacing) then a Faroudja or comporable device may help.

If the problem is noise in the source signal then I doubt if much can be done to make it look better.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i did some with and without tests of the pioneer 50" plas and faroudja native rate. without a doubt, the image was improved across the board with the scaler, esp in terms of de-interlacing, color management, etc. no surprise, but made me feel my investment was in more than smoke and mirrors.

now regarding NTSC, i have only seen a few things that i thought were good enough to even bother forming an opinion about: a few movies on showtime, hbo, one or two pay-per-view movies, etc....very little standard broadcast material. These already good materials will be made significantly better with the scaler; the rest will still have poor pq. so you don't get the midas touch with the faroudja, but you do get improvement.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leslie
Thanks to the Skyworth, I have a great DVD picture on my Panny 50 plasma display. Thanks to TWC, I have a great hi def picture on the 9 high def channels I get. What's driving me nuts is the crummy standard digital picture.

Would a scaler improve the NTSC digital signal, or would I just magnify the noise?

Leslie
I also have a Skyworth driving a 50" plasma directly, and I get great PQ from DVDs. As far as NTSC is concerned, I find that the Vigatec Dune's noise reduction function (set to "3") can be reasonably effective in making NTSC more watchable on the plasma. However, I still prefer watching NTSC on a 4:3 Barco Retrographics 801s display. The CRTs are _much_ more forgiving than the plasma when it comes to noisy source material.

OTOH, I prefer the plasma over the Barco for most DirecTV channels. The sharpness of the plasma complements the softness and pastiness of the overcompressed DTV picture. Here, the Vig is quite effective in scaling the DTV picture without introducing really egregious artifacts.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because I was "offline" for the better part of a couple of weeks, I haven't kept up with the Faroudja Native Rate controversy. Have they fixed it so it now truly supports true plasma display resolution?

I know ericbee et al found that it did not. But, I've lost track of where things stand now.

Leslie

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Leslie,

I have recently purchased a Vigatec GVC1280 from Jason. I am running my TWC-Houston thru and see a substantial upgrade on most channels on my plasma. Some are so bad, nothing could help. The noise reduction, scaling and aspect control are great features. My only complaints are with the user manual(not very clear), the model I have does not have OSD(although I think it is available on new models and an upgrade is in the works per Alan G) and a lipsync prob most evident on ABC. For the money, I thought it had the best quality and features. I demo-ed the Iscan and Quadscan on my plasma and saw little improvement. I couldn't find a dealer in Houston who could demo a NRS. I have a Denon 2800 DVD - prog scan and TWC HDTV box that I have not hooked-up to the Vig as yet but will soon. I don't expect much improvement from the HDTV but hope for some with the DVD. I hope to switch all inputs thru the Vig.

If you have other question, let me know.

Howard

·
Registered
19 Posts
Howard:

I have been trying to decide if I need to upgrade my scaler to the Vigatech or the Rock+. I currently have the Crystal Image. Did you try the Rock+ or has anyone tried the Rock+ with the 50' Panny. Thanks, for your help. Steve.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GPubah,

I can't imagine how Vigatec could improve the fabulous HD picture on TWC, nor can I imagine how one would hook up just the digital cable box to the scaler, but not the hi def box. You really managed this?

I'm very interested that you've seen a difference in NTSC viewing. Of course, our NTSC picture has improved since, due to my nighttime hi def problems, TWC has replaced a faulty transponder and another main part on the Bellaire and main nodes last night and this morning.

Pity about not being able to test drive the NRS -- gosh I would hate to spring for the Vigatec if all I needed was a NRS!

Leslie

·
Registered
60 Posts
Leslie,

Check with Jason at AVS he had an open box GVC1280 for less than $3500 in the classified as I recall. I don't know if it's still available. I'm doubt you can get a NRS cheaper. I didn't check into the Rock.

I took the svideo out of the TWC digital directly to the Vig. The high speed data goes to tne the HiDef box. The Vig will take the 1080i HDTV and pass it. I'm curious to see the result. Hope to get to it this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.