AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new G11 and wanted to see if the members of the forum would help give me some of their practical experience in choosing a scaler? I have not yet bought any other equipment and have a flexible budget. I am ordering a 126" diagonal 16:9 stewart grayhawk for the system. I have heard that the crystal image works wonderfully with the DILA, and that the Rock by TAW also is nice. If you could give me some guidance, it would be wonderful!

Thanks

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Ciroman,

Congratulations on purchasing the finest projector that is no longer available for home theater. (flame-proof suit on).

You will find a discussion of D-ILA scalers and some other things that may be of interest now that you have your new purchase in hand here . If you are interested in a survey of who uses scalers and who uses HTPCs, you can find that here .

You also might want to check out the D-ILA FAQ . Some of the links have been archived, but it still contains a lot of helpful information.

Mark

[This message has been edited by milori (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Wow. The #1 best place to look for scaler info on a G11 right now has to be the (semi) official:

G11 Scaler Shootouts>

conducted just recently by the moderator of the Video Processor Forum, Tom Strade.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi ciroman,

This has been a subject of much debate for a long time. I have the G11U with a CI Scaler currently. Yesterday I ordered the Rock+ unit. The CI is a good entry level scaler. I have had no problems with it. However, if your tastes are beyond entry level and are trying to achieve very high quality, I would recommend you look at the units that Tommyboy has listed in his review. These are all top notch. As you will see in his review, each one has its own strengths and weaknesses.

For me personally, I chose the Rock+ because it is a software based unit that can be upgraded via firmware downloads rather than having to buy a new processor. There are a lot of positive things that TAW is doing. I personally think that they have some of the sharpest software engineers working for them that are dedicated to the persuit of exellence.

There has been much heated debate over this scaler issue. There is a tremendous amount of info on the forum for all of these scalers. Evaluate the info based upon facts and specs. Dont be blinded by political agenda.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If it isn't obvious to anyone reading this thread, the $9K price listed thru the link above is NOT a good price. A G15U, which is a newer version of same projector, could easily be had for that price. Also note that, from what I've heard (rather than seen), the G11 may have shading problems when ceiling mounted. The G15 has a special screw that adjusts the lamp when ceiling mounted to correct this problem. The G15 also puts out 500 more lumens. Personally, I wouldn't consider a G11 unless it was around $7K or less.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The QuadScan Elite is an excelent unit to use with a 16 X 9 screen and is reasonably priced.

The new Faroudja NR is... well a Faroudja at a great price.

I have both units in my demo theater and can recommend them.

I also have a new and a demo G11 available.

------------------

Irv Kelman

We are THX Certified.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree that the $9K price for the G11 is too much and if anyone is interested, I would contact Irv Kelman who just posted on this thread -- I hear that he has wonderful service and is a pleasure to work with.

I have heard that the Faroudja NR has some difficulties with the Dila, can anyone expand on that.

·
Registered
763 Posts
FWIW:

You might want to wait a tad and see what happens with the new Key Digital scaler that is coming out soon and is in the same ball park price wise.

All three existing vendors (TAW/Rock; Vigatec and Faroudja) are working on their products to fix problems found and make the scalers even better.

It appears that within 4 to 6 weeks the choice will be harder because many of these issues will have been addressed and it looks like all of these units (and the forthcoming Key Digital unit) are good to excellent.

You might want to join in the disussion on the video scaler forum.

Chuck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.