AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading/posting some threads here at AVS I decided to go with the JVC G-15 w/ISCO II lenses and Cliff's calibration. Before that, I've decided that I would go with the Faroudja NR Scaler, but now I've got the bad news: the Faroudja NR doesn't have size control and memories, so everytime I want to watch 4:3 programs I would have to manually remove the lenses:( . This took the Faroudja out of the game, so now I need some suggestions for a good scaler for using with the G-15/ISCO combo which allows me to change the aspect ratio between 16:9 to 4:3 without having the lenses removed. What scalers are you using with the G-15:confused: ? Please give me some advice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use the rock+ and the JVC. It works great. I run Dish Network and Direct TV HD through the bypass. I watch regular NCS TV through the S Video input. I utilize the component input for DVD. I will soon be upgrading to SDI (for the DVD Player). There is a button on the remote which toggles back and forth between 4:3, letterbox, and anamorphic.

I am waiting for my ISCO/Panamorph -- whatever comes first. I suspect you can answer that one. Not so sure how the hook up is going to go. You may want to post this on the scaler forum.

BTW--the quality on the Rock+ for DVD is awesome. It also has Crestron codes that you can integrate with a Crestron remote to make things even easier.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Flavio,

have you had a chance to read the NR manual. I have not done a setup with an NR and a D-ILA, but the manual is pretty clear that you can do this (unless the manual is misleading). Here is the download for the manual.

On page 5 it states "use the Wide setting when the screen shape is widescreen and the projector will provide the anamorphic vertical squeeze (16:9 screen + DILA with ISCO/Panamorph).

The other settings are:

- 4:3 --4:3 projector with a 4:3 screen (DILA with 4:3 screen, no lens)

-Wide 4:3-4:3 projector with a widescreen (D-ILA on a widescreen without the lens, reverse anamorphic squeeze provided by scaler with anamorphic disks)

Page 7 under Formats:

Aspect Ratio 4:3, widescreen, anamorphic

(further down the page)

*Aspect Ratio Selection

Press the Aspect Ratio button to toggle between

the different choices. The aspect ratio selected

needs to match the aspect ratio of the source.

NOTE: When using a Wide Angle screen a 4:3

source will have black bars on the left and right of

the image. If filling the entire screen is desired,

select Letterbox. The image will fill the screen but

the top and bottom 1/3 of the image will be cut off.

The above is what is typically needed to provide AR support in a scaler to avoid removal of the lens for 4:3 material. Has your dealer set one of these up?

There are four memories per input for NTSC and four memories per input for PAL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am very interested in the answer on the Faroujda NR + D-ILA + ISCO setup. I have a CI

now, and am really very unhappy

with the 8% overscan on 4 x 3

material, so i want to replace it with something that will work.

It sure looks from the NR manual that it should work if you set the screen shape to 4x3 anamorphic in the setup, and the

select 4x3 source.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Dewar,

you may want to email AVsource. According Mr. Nguyen the current version of the 2.0 and new 4.0 CI have fixed the 4:3 AR. They continue to use the genesis chip for deinterlacing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I acquired the Faroudja Native

Rate Plus scaler, and it works

perfectly with the D-ILA and

ISCO-2 combination (and the

general quality is excellent).

If you can afford it, this seems

definitely the best way to go

for this projector.

(I am answering my own question