AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched first football game (not in HDTV )on ht1100 and noticed significant motion artifact during live plays. In particular, the offensive and defensive line player images blurred at the snap of the ball. Is there a way to change the refresh rate on the internal scaler or do I need to consider buying an external scaler?

if so, which one have any of you seen work well with this pj. I have an external deinterlacer box(viewsonic) that has several different refresh rates that I could try but this worked poorly with my last pj(dreamvision starlight) and I have the ht1100 deinterlacer on. I'm also upgrading to HDTV at the end of the month so maybe that will help but I'm unwilling to give DSS an extra $100 on top of the nfl sunday ticket fee (and on top of the regular hdtv fee) so I'll still be watching lots of games in Standard def.

Other than this I'm very happy with ht 1100 especially for movies. Suprisingly though, now occasionally see rainbows I never saw with slower, simpler color wheel in dreamvision. Color sat, contast,sharpness and brightness are markedly improved. Any recs would be appreciated. Go Bills!!!

·
Registered
28,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbill
Is there a way to change the refresh rate on the internal scaler or do I need to consider buying an external scaler?
The HT1100 only runs at 60hz (59.94 more precisely). Any other refresh rate you feed into it will be converted to that rate by the projector.

Only CRT projectors offer variable refresh rates.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, for the info about refresh rates. Any other interventions available to decrease motion artifact?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey Doc have you considered the Algolith Mosquito or the DVDO iScan HD+ Video Processors

"Mosquito is a three dimensional (3D) digital processor, able to accept standard and "progressive scan" component signals. Mosquito is also available with SD/HD capability. Our 3D Mosquito Noise Reducer, targeted at the Home Theater market, is ideal for inline use with DVD and DSS (picture 3) for noise reducing compression artefacts often seen on larger displays such as Plasmas or projected images of all sizes. The Mosquito cleans and sharpens DCT compressed images such as MPEG2 used in Direct Satellite Signals (DSS), Digital Cable, Digital Terrestrial Television (DTV), and digital recording such as Digital Video Disk (DVD's) or even Personal Video Recorders (PVR)."

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, yes Ive considered dvdo (never heard of mosquito before this) but I don't think this is a compression artifact or noise that can be cleaned up; I think its from the speed of the action -like imaging flying golf balls and hockey pucks.(in these cases I don't think the camera can even keep up). While I know its not really possible to image these that well right now, I had hoped that a 300 lb defensive end bursting from his stance would be clearer with the ht1100. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has tried either of these boxes with the ht1100 and observed improvement in this area (thus debunking my theory that this isnt noise or a compression artifact) How bout the upgrade to HDTV -will this help in this regard? If its not do able with this pj (or any

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just googled algolith: $5000-8000...wouldn't make sense. But a dvdo might if it worked. Anybody with experience with this? Entire Fantasy football league coming over to watch opening Sunday early Sept!!!BTW.. no artifact in slow Mo replays or close ups just wide field fast action shots.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
The HT1100 only runs at 60hz (59.94 more precisely). Any other refresh rate you feed into it will be converted to that rate by the projector.

Only CRT projectors offer variable refresh rates.
Just to correct the info about refresh rate. Based on what Bob Williams (Infocus engineer) told me about the 4805 I have to say not only CRT offer variable refresh rates:

Here is the post with all the info.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5972181

Regards

·
Registered
28,093 Posts
The Infocus X1/4805 may be able to sync with 72hz, but the NEC HT1100 won't. It will accept the signal, but will convert the 72hz to 60hz with plenty of tearing.

I have an NEC LT-240 (same internal scaler as the HT1100) and a DVDO iScan HD+. The HD+ can change the refresh rate and has test patterns to demonstrate whether the projector is syncing properly with it or converting it to the projector's own internal rate. I can confirm that the NEC will convert any other input rate to 60hz.

If you read the post linked above, even the Infocus rep admits that most of their projectors other than the X1/4805 do not have the capability to sync with multiple refresh rates. The 4805 seems to be an anamoly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.