AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

I am a noob when it comes to video processing, so I am hoping maybe someone here could help me.

I am looking for ways to make my laserdiscs look better on my TV and projector. Currently I am running my discs on a CLD-D703 but I am probably going to get me an elite player later on.

I have been looking on the DVDO Edge model for a while now, If I understand everything correctly this model has both upscaling and interlacing?

Anyway the big issue for me is if the DVDO Edge are better or worse than a used VP30...

Because they pretty much cost the same, a new EDGE might even cost a little more.

I am also going to buy a new home cinema amplifier for around 500-700 USD but I don't think that matters for my choice of a video processor.

And if anyone have any other good recomendations for a video upscaler I would liek to know =)

Sorry for my bad enlgish.

/Johan

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
you need something with a good 3D comb filter, neither of those DVDO units have that, I strongly suggest a Lumagen HDQ, good 3D comb filter and the best scaling for SD sources

-Gary

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/18269932

you need something with a good 3D comb filter, neither of those DVDO units have that, I strongly suggest a Lumagen HDQ, good 3D comb filter and the best scaling for SD sources

This is correct, at least as far as the VP30 goes. The Faroudja NRS scaler has a GREAT comb filter and would get my recommendation.

TLK

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have now looked this 2 fine machines up a little closer.

Its seems that the price-difference are big on these two. Also the Lumagen seems to be very limited in the used market...

Does the Lumagen HDQ have any other benefits more than it can output the source in 1080p ?

The lumagen cost nearly the double of Faroudja NRS, do you think I will notice much in picture ?

Since I am a total noob at videoprocessors it might be best to go with the cheapest one and then learn more about it and its limitations ?

/Johan

PS here is a good thread for my subject, if someone wondering same things as me =) http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18274350

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan184 /forum/post/18274490

Its seems that the price-difference are big on these two. Also the Lumagen seems to be very limited in the used market...

Does the Lumagen HDQ have any other benefits more than it can output the source in 1080p ?

The lumagen cost nearly the double of Faroudja NRS, do you think I will notice much in picture ?

Since I am a total noob at videoprocessors it might be best to go with the cheapest one and then learn more about it and its limitations ?

/Johan

Beware of macroblocking with Faroudja to DLP or Plasma. I have a Pioneer reciver with a Faroudja chipset and I had an Oppo dvd player. Both were simply awful to my DLP and Plasma sets. The scaling looked okay for a composite signal coming out of a Pioneer LD player. If you are going to an LCD based projector or TV it might be a decent solution.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan184 /forum/post/18274490

/Johan

PS here is a good thread for my subject, if someone wondering same things as me =) http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18274350

The Lumagen obviously has only a couple DVI inputs vice the larger number of HDMI inputs on the VP30 or EDGE, and the EDGE has mosquito noise reduction, detail enhancement, and edge enhancement (all of which are of debatable quality). Scaling and deinterlacing algorithms are identical between the VP30 and the EDGE. The Lumagen's scaling is superior (as well as the 3D comb filter, which has already been mentioned). Something else you'll get with the Lumagen that you won't get on the DVDO units is a full CMS for primary colors, as well as parametric gryscale/gamma adjustment. Those controls are a little more advanced but will allow you or a calibrator to dial in your dislpay to standards should you wish to do so in the future.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray /forum/post/18274606

Beware of macroblocking with Faroudja to DLP or Plasma. I have a Pioneer reciver with a Faroudja chipset and I had an Oppo dvd player. Both were simply awful to my DLP and Plasma sets. The scaling looked okay for a composite signal coming out of a Pioneer LD player. If you are going to an LCD based projector or TV it might be a decent solution.

I guess I'm not seeing any such artifacts with my Faroudja NRS, because my display is a direct-view CRT.

TLK

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have one, too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks. I have read that guide already, but its pretty old now so the machines he recommends are pretty old and hard to get here so that why I am looking fo a little newer machine with both interlacing and upscaling processor wich would be good for laserdisc players.

I have been reading alot in the last days about different machines and its all really confusing.

What I have understud the comb filter in my d704 are pretty good already, so the profit from a 3rd party comb filter would be very small.

I have a guy here in sweden selling a DVDO iScan HD+ with SDI module for 400 USD (250 £). What do you think about that ? I read some reviews that says it supposed to be good at SD sources....

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan184 /forum/post/18340673

thanks. I have read that guide already, but its pretty old now so the machines he recommends are pretty old and hard to get here so that why I am looking fo a little newer machine with both interlacing and upscaling processor wich would be good for laserdisc players.

You asked about the iScan Ultra. Josh's article is germane to the question at hand -- an old deinterlacer.

Quote:

I have been reading alot in the last days about different machines and its all really confusing.

What I have understud the comb filter in my d704 are pretty good already, so the profit from a 3rd party comb filter would be very small.

You couldn't be any more wrong about the CLD-D704's comb filter. I have the Elite CLD-79 (the exact same player but with the Elite "urishi" faceplate), and it's comb filter is for crap. It fails miserably with the Snell & Wilcox 2 test pattern in the Video Essentials LaserDisc.

The DVDO scalers all have crap comb filters for NTSC, too (as was told to me by someone who's owned most of them and a respected member of this site). In addition, I currently own the DVDO VP30 (with ABT102 card installed), and it's comb filter is pretty primitive. The only external comb filter that I've seen to pass the Snell & Wilcox 2 test pattern is the Faroudja NRS scaler (mine is set to 720p).

I've tested the comb filters in the DVDO VP30 (with ABT102 card installed), the Camelot Technologies Crystal Vision VPS-1, the Faroudja VP-100, the Audio Alchemy VRE 1.0, the Entech SVSI-1, the Kramer FC-10D, and the Faroudja NRS. As far as performance as a comb filter is concerned, they're all crap, except one. The only unit to eliminate the rainbows in the Snell & Wilcox 2 test pattern with my Pioneer LD-S2 is the Faroudja NRS.

Quote:

I have a guy here in sweden selling a DVDO iScan HD+ with SDI module for 400 USD (250 £). What do you think about that ? I read some reviews that says it supposed to be good at SD sources....

The HD+ can be had for less than $200 USD these days on eBay (don't know about the shipping to Sweden, though). The deinterlacing chip is the older SiI504 one, which is decent, but it just doesn't do as good a job as the Anchor Bay chipsets these days.

Good luck.

TLK

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard King /forum/post/18342042

You asked about the iScan Ultra. Josh's article is germane to the question at hand -- an old deinterlacer.

You couldn't be any more wrong about the CLD-D704's comb filter. I have the Elite CLD-79 (the exact same player but with the Elite "urishi" faceplate), and it's comb filter is for crap. It fails miserably with the Snell & Wilcox 2 test pattern in the Video Essentials LaserDisc.

The DVDO scalers all have crap comb filters for NTSC, too (as was told to me by someone who's owned most of them and a respected member of this site). In addition, I currently own the DVDO VP30 (with ABT102 card installed), and it's comb filter is pretty primitive. The only external comb filter that I've seen to pass the Snell & Wilcox 2 test pattern is the Faroudja NRS scaler (mine is set to 720p).

I've tested the comb filters in the DVDO VP30 (with ABT102 card installed), the Camelot Technologies Crystal Vision VPS-1, the Faroudja VP-100, the Audio Alchemy VRE 1.0, the Entech SVSI-1, the Kramer FC-10D, and the Faroudja NRS. As far as performance as a comb filter is concerned, they're all crap, except one. The only unit to eliminate the rainbows in the Snell & Wilcox 2 test pattern with my Pioneer LD-S2 is the Faroudja NRS.

The HD+ can be had for less than $200 USD these days on eBay (don't know about the shipping to Sweden, though). The deinterlacing chip is the older SiI504 one, which is decent, but it just doesn't do as good a job as the Anchor Bay chipsets these days.

Good luck.

TLK

I see...I might try the Faroudja NRS after all then, The warnings about macroblocking scared me off a little but it seems that the chipset used in the NRS shouldnt have that problem, atleast not so notible..

What should be a good price for a used NRS ? Theres only one for sale with remote control for 350$ and one without remote for 100$ but I guess I need the remote control.

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johan184 /forum/post/18349014

I see...I might try the Faroudja NRS after all then, The warnings about macroblocking scared me off a little but it seems that the chipset used in the NRS shouldnt have that problem, atleast not so notible..

What should be a good price for a used NRS ? Theres only one for sale with remote control for 350$ and one without remote for 100$ but I guess I need the remote control.

Thanks again for all the help!

I bought mine 1.5 years ago for $200 shipped with remote. You don't need a remote, because all of the functions are accessible from the front-panel buttons, but it sure does help to have one!

Make sure that whatever NRS you buy is set to a compatible resolution to your display. Alternatively, some of them have been modified/upgraded to output a spectrum of resolution settings.

http://www.lifestyleshomeentertainment.com/

Make sure you find out what the output resolution is before buying.

TLK

·
Registered
278 Posts
Your Royal Lizardness, will a company like Lifestyles above reprogram the output of Faroudja NRS scalers to any display? (Probably for a service fee if so.) They advertise other repairs and services so I would imagine they do.

Edit: Never mind. I answered my own question by calling them today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusm750 /forum/post/18400833

Your Royal Lizardness, will a company like Lifestyles above reprogram the output of Faroudja NRS scalers to any display? (Probably for a service fee if so.) They advertise other repairs and services so I would imagine they do.

Edit: Never mind. I answered my own question by calling them today.

And the answer was ?

Cant find a NRS for sale now =(

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi Johan. Yeah, I know, I bought that NRS-DVI unit up on flea-Bay yesterday.
I've decided to dump my old, beater LD-100 and VP401 processors in favor of this updated one with a digital output. Kurtis Bahr's positive comments really steered me towards this product line (along with the lower costs for used units).

Don't worry, there's a standard NRS with no reserve ending in six hours

http://cgi.ebay.com/FAROUDJA-NR-SERI...item3a593b69b7

and there's one just posted today starting at 50 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/Faroudja-Native-...item35a8499d78

These have the analog outputs via BNC or VGA connectors but they're essentially the same algorithms inside. The DVI simply works better for my Optoma HD72 but the standard one would work as well.

As for reprogramming to a different scan rate, it's 150 USD plus shipping both ways. I spoke with Rob Kirkpatrick at Lifestyles Home Entertainment and he confirmed the cost. As I'm an EE, I'll be cracking the NRS-DVI open when I get it to see if anything can be DIY towards that end but I'm guessing probably not. I'd also like to see how difficult it'd be to add an SDI input as I'm now considering modding my CLD-97 for the SDI output a la Glimmie. My external TBC is dead so the direct composite output mod is no longer useable (unless I find another low-cost digital TBC or a Faroudja VS50 decoder which has a two-line TBC).

I'll start a new update thread when I've got this all going. I can't believe you guys got me back into LaserDisc after 5 years of retiring my stuff!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts