AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm interested in getting a scaler to send my projector altered aspect ratios. I read a bit on the constant height 2.35 section but don't really like the idea of getting panamorph lens and don't really like the 2.35 ratio even though some of the best epics were shot in that ratio. What I'd like to do is watch all my movies in 1.85 ratio, since that is the most common ratio and not too wide for my taste, but would like to use all the pixels that I paid for to be scaled in that ratio w/ no black bars on top and bottom. What would be a good scaler to use for my application? I have a buddy that has a can get both DVDO and Key Digital stuff at cost, so I'd prefer to get something from either brands because of the great prices that I can get. So which particular model should I go for? I'd like something that would be future proof when 1080p is needed, and also be able to scale all video sources to 1.85 ratio with all the pixels that my projector has. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I presume you have a 16:9 panel? If this is the case then if you want to use all your pixels and you don't want to use another lens then the image has to be 16:9 in aspect ratio (1.78:1). If you want to create a 1.85:1 image then you will have to not use some pixels. Also if you scale non:1.85:1 sources to your 1.85:1 aspect you will distort the geometry unless you ZOOM in on them cropping sides or top and bottom.

Can you clarify just what it is you want to do. Use all the pixels or have a 1.85:1 screen?

Gordon

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I just thought about my question and realized that what I wanted to do is not possible. So if I go with the constant height 2.35 route, would I be able to watch all video sources on a 2.35 ratio with a scaler and lens combo? If so, which scaler is good for scaling 720p/1080i and 1080p resolutions out of the Key Digital and DVDO offerings?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.